Sending enlisted workers abroad is expected to be made mandatory again, said officials.
They told New Age that the government was actively considering to make it mandatory for recruiters to hire workers registered in the database prepared in 2013.
They said that 22 lakh workers aspiring to work abroad, enlisted in the database prepared by the Bureau of Manpower, Employment and Training were seldom selected for overseas jobs.
They said that there was a tendency among the recruiting agencies to hire unregistered workers because they could be forced to pay more for getting jobs abroad.
In 2014, said officials, the government had made it mandatory for the recruiting agencies to send only registered workers for overseas jobs.
Later the government relaxed the provision as the recruiting agencies showed little interest in sending registered workers.
When asked, joint secretary (employment) at expatriates welfare and overseas employment ministry Narayan Chandra Barma admitted that there was no recruitment of workers enlisted with the database as the mandatory provision was relaxed for recruiting agencies until December 31, 2016.
‘Now we are thinking to make it compulsory for the recruiting agencies again to select workers registered with the database for overseas jobs,’ he told New Age at his office Monday.
Barely 10,000 workers enlisted in the database got jobs in Malaysia under a government to government hiring system that was abandoned last year.
Abdul Hai, a worker of Natore said that he was among 30,000 workers selected for Malaysian jobs in 2013 through computerized lottery who never got the jobs though they were all enlisted with the BMET’s database.
Once Malaysia reopens its doors to overseas workers the enlisted labourers would be sent, BMET director general Salim Reza said when asked why the registered workers were not being selected for overseas jobs.
BMET officials said that most of the 7.5 lakh workers got jobs abroad in 2016 under their own initiative.