Two more Bangladesh citizens were detected to be infected with coronavirus Covid-19 raising the number of affected Bangladeshis to four in Singapore, according to Singapore health ministry.
A new male patient, 37, reported the onset of symptoms on February 7. He was identified as a close contact of the two previously identified Bangladeshi patients.
Subsequent test results confirmed his Covid-19 infection February 12 afternoon.
Another new male patient, 30, was confirmed to have the virus infection Thursday morning.
All four of the patients were undergoing treatment in isolation rooms at a Singapore hospital.
They were working in Singapore with valid work passes linked to the cluster at the Seletar Aerospace Heights construction site.
None of the four patients has recent travel history to China.
Ten other Bangladesh people have also been in quarantine at places in Singapore for about a week.
In Bangladesh, 312 Bangladeshis who have been quarantined at the Hajj Camp in the capital since their return from China following the coronavirus outbreak will be released tomorrow, said health minister Zahid Maleque.
Speaking at a programme in the capital on Thursday, he said that they were doing well and would be allowed to go home on Saturday.
‘They will complete two weeks of quarantine on February 14. We will allow them to go home on February 15 after some tests,’ he said.
‘All of them are doing well,’ he added.
The minister earlier on Wednesday had said that the 312 would be released on Friday.
Bangladesh brought back home the 312 Bangladeshis from Wuhan of China, the epicentre of the virus outbreak, on February 1.
They have been quarantined at the camp near the Dhaka airport since.
Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research director Meerjady Sabrina Flora on Thursday said that none of the 312 had any problem and as they would pass two weeks in isolation on Friday they could be released then.
The incubation period for coronavirus is two weeks, she added.
After coming back to Dhaka from Wuhan, eight of the 312 returnees had been sent to two hospitals with fever while the others have been in quarantine at Ashkona Hajj Camp for 14 days.
Eleven others from the camp also had been sent to the Combined Military Hospital in the capital. But none of them, too, was found to be infected with the virus, said Meerjady.
The deaths from the coronavirus, now named COVID-19, reached 1,355 with the infection affecting some 60,000 other people in China as of Thursday.
The new virus is believed to have emerged last year in a market that sells wild animals in Hubei province’s capital Wuhan.
The World Health Organisation has already declared a global health emergency over the spread of coronavirus that has spread to over two dozen countries besides China.
Bangladesh has prepared to face the growing menace with preventive measures, including screening at the ports of entry to Bangladesh.
Isolation units have been opened at all medical college hospitals and district hospitals across the country.
The health minister urged people to refrain from spreading rumours or panic over the virus.
‘No one in Bangladesh has been found to have the infection till date. One man has been admitted to a hospital in Rangpur. People can be hospitalised for many reasons. We should not regard them as being infected with the virus unless it is confirmed,’ he said.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Foreign affairs