Attack at DUCSU

No headway in probe in 42 days

DU Correspondent | Published: 00:35, Feb 05,2020


There has been no headway in investigations into the attack at Dhaka University Central Students’ Union on December 22 last year.

Forty two days have pass since the attack, launched by the Chhatra League and Muktijuddha Mancha activists, left at least 40 injured, including the students’ union vice-president Nurul Huq Nur.

Amid the countrywide protests, the university authorities formed a six-member probe committee two days after the attack and asked it to submit its report within six working days.

But the committee failed to meet its first deadline, January 1, for submitting its report and extended the deadline twice and failed to meet the third deadline, January 29.

After missing the first deadline, the committee asked the authorities to extend the deadline to January 15.

After missing again, the committed asked another extension to January 29.

After missing the deadline for the third time, the committee convener, arts faculty dean Professor Abu Delwar Hossain, told New Age on Tuesday that they needed fifteen more days to complete the investigation. He said that the committee requested the vice-chancellor for another extension.

Among the committee members are Shamsunnahar Hall provost Professor Supriya Saha, Sir PJ Hartog International Hall provost Professor Mohiuddin, senate member Professor Asim Sarkar, syndicate member Mizanur Rahman, and assistant proctor Professor Mainul Karim.

Meanwhile, neither the university authorities nor the police could trace the computer and its monitor that recorded CCTV footage as those went missing from the students’ union administrative office during the attack.

The committee convener said that it was not possible for them to recover the CCTV footages and it was the duty of the law enforcement agencies but they could not recover the footages as well.

The students’ union vice-president Nurul Haque Nur said that the investigative body was just eyewash as the culprits, including Muktijuddha Mancha president Aminul Islam Bulbul, who led the attack, was roaming in broad daylight.

‘The failure of the law enforcing agencies to trace them was nothing but farce,’he commented.

Four cases were filed regarding the attack.

On December 28, a leader of Bangladesh Chhatra League filed complaint accusing Dhaka University Central Students’ Union vice-president Nurul Huq Nur under the Digital Security Act for his commentary, streamed live on Facebook, criticising BCL leaders.

On December 26, another former leader of Bangladesh Chhatra League filed a case with the Shahbagh police station accusing Nurul and 28 others.

On December 23, sub-inspector Rois Hossain of Shahbagh police station in his first information report named Muktijuddha Mancha president Aminul Islam Bulbul, its secretary Al Mamun, its Dhaka University chapter president ASM Al Sonet and secretary Yasir Arafat for the attack.

Later, Nurul in his FIR accused BCL university unit president Sonjit Chandra Das, its secretary Saddam Hossain, Muktijuddha Mancha president Aminul Islam Bulbul, and its secretary Al Mamun, among others.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email