No more attackers identified, held over DUCSU attack

VP Nurul meets VC, proctor seeking justice

Staff Correspondent | Published: 02:03, Jan 13,2020 | Updated: 02:04, Jan 13,2020


No more suspects of the series of attacks on Dhaka University Central Students Union vice-president Nurul Haque Nur and 39 others on the university campus on December 22 were identified or arrested in 20 days leading Nurul to meet vice-chancellor Akhtaruzzaman seeking justice on Sunday.      

The police investigators said they were still investigating into the cases filed after the incidents of violence and suspected that the attack was carried out on Nurul and others over ‘ego problems’.

Bangladesh Sadharan Chhatra Adhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad leaders, however, said they knew the fate of investigation as three of the suspects were arrested and remanded and sent to jail because of the reactions from the people over the brutal attack on Nurul and others.

Economics department assistant professor Rushad Faridi, who rushed to the spot after hearing that the students came under attack, told New Age on Sunday that he found nothing ‘unusual’ as hardly any action was taken by the authorities.

‘It is indeed the reflection of culture of impunity which people across the country now are experiencing,’ he said.

Rushad said that he was present during the attack and saw how students were being beaten by the Chhatra League and Muktijuddha Mancha activists.

Nurul Haque Nur told New Age that he met vice-chancellor Md Akhtaruzzaman and proctor AKM Golam Rabbani on Sunday and informed them that he wanted to continue his office at the DUCSU building. Both the Akhtaruzzman and Rabbani told him that the office was sealed off for investigation and the committee initiated by the arts faculty dead Abu Md Delwar Hossain would take the decision.

Nurul said Delwar Hossain told him that he would decide whether to handover the key at a meeting on Monday.

Neither Dhaka University authorities nor the police could trace the computer that recorded CCTV footage and its monitor after those went missing from the administrative office of Dhaka University Central Students Union during series of violence on December 22.

Police investigators said the footage of the attack would help them to identify the perpetrators.

Nurul said he was not initially allowed to file the case rather the police had filed it hastily to divert the attention and even did not arrest all of the suspects despite promises from government minister and senior ruling Awami League leaders.

Following the attack, home minister Asaduzzaman Khan also said steps would be taken after analysing the surveillance camera footage of the attack.

Shahbagh police station officer in charge Abul Hasnat said Nurul had filed a complaint with the police station and the court ordered to attach it with the case filed by the police. 

Detective branch (south) deputy commissioner Razib Al Masud, who supervises the case over the attack on Nurul, also said they were still investigating to the case while they suspected the attack taken place over ‘ego problem’ among the student leaders.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email