One more victims of Chattogram explosion was identified on Monday morning while a case was filed against the house owner for creating a deadly situation resulting in deaths of at least seven people.
The reason behind the explosion, however, remained unclear until Monday as the organisations involved in investigation were offering conflicting possibilities.
The explosion reportedly from a gas pipeline leakage killed at least seven people and injured 10 on Patharghata Brickfield Road on Sunday morning.
On Monday, relatives of Mahmudul Haque, a rickshaw driver in his thirties, identified his body.
He was the son of Abul Kashem of Senerchor area of Taillakata at Lohagara upazila.
Shahina Akter, wife of Mahmudul Haque, filed a case with the Kotwali police station on Monday against house owner Dharmapal Barua and two of his sons Amal Barua and Titu Barua for creating a deadly situation, showing negligence to vulnerability of the building and causing loss to people, said Kotwali police officer-in-charge Mohammad Mohsin.
Kotowali police sub-inspector Ayub Uddin bestowed with the charge of investigation of this case, he added.
Three committees were formed to investigate the explosion.
Members of two committees visited the spot on Monday morning and gathered samples and information.
Chattogram Fire Service and Civil Defence deputy director Jasim Uddin told to New Age on Monday said that they were assuming that a leakage or any problem in the gas supply line was responsible for the blast.
The ground floor of the building, which was built on the road, was like a gas chamber as it had its gas riser just behind its kitchen, he said.
The front side of the building had an underground septic tank and the lid of the septic tank blew away during the explosion, he added.
On the other hand Karnaphuli Gas Distribution Company Limited authorities in a two-page report to Petrobangla on Sunday night claimed that the accident was a result of blast inside the septic tank, not in the gas supply line.
Meanwhile, the Department of Explosives blamed the gas line leakage for the blast.
KGDCL general manager Sarwar Hossain said that in primary investigation they found that there was no gas leakage.
The gas stove, gas pipeline, and the gas riser were completely safe, and if the accident was caused by gas leakage these tools should be blasted, he added.
He said that the explosion was not happened in the kitchen, it happened in another room under which there was the septic tank.
However, Department of Explosive inspector Taffazzal Hossain said that the gas riser was very old and it could be a reason behind the leak.
On Sunday, KGDCL formed a fourmember committee led by Sarwar Hossain.
Chattogram deputy commissioner Elius Hossain said that district administration formed a five-member committee headed by additional district magistrate AZM Shariful Hossain in this regard and asked to submit the probe report in seven working days.
Chattogram Metropolitan Police formed a threemember committee with Chittagong Metropolitan Police deputy commissioner (south) Mehedi Hasan as the chief.
Chattogram Development Authority chief engineer Shahinul Islam said that the owner extended the house by illegally grabbing a portion of the road.
He said that the building which was partly blown off did not maintain the Building Code during its construction.
Injured Ismail, a fisherman in profession, was undergoing treatment in Chittagong Medical College Hospital but no one from his family turned up to see him, said the authorities.
CMCH deputy director Akhterul Islam said that total eight people have been undergoing treatment in CMCH. Among them three were admitted into casualty ward, one in orthopaedic, one on cardiology and three were in ICU.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country