BCB rules out probe against Sakib contact 

Staff Correspondent | Published: 23:14, Oct 30,2019

 
 

Bangladesh all-rounder Sakib al Hasan reacts during a press conference at Mirpur on Tuesday.— AFP photo

Bangladesh Cricket Board said on Wednesday it was unlikely to do further investigation of the corrupt approach made to all-rounder Sakib al Hasan by a suspected bookie as the International Cricket Council probed the matter.

‘I think the investigation chapter is closed as we have already seen ICC punishing Sakib for his part,’ said BCB director Jalal Yunus.

The ICC handed Sakib a two-year ban, with one year suspended, after he failed to report multiple corrupt approaches from a bookie in 2018.

The question of further investigation came as the ICC in its report indicated the involvement of an unnamed person, who had provided Sakib’s contact number to bookie Deepak Aggarwal.

The ICC further indicated the player was a personal acquaintance of Sakib and his contact number was provided at a time when he was playing for Dhaka Dynamites in the Bangladesh Premier League in late 2017.

‘He was aware that his telephone number had been provided to Mr Aggarwal by another person who was known to Al Hasan [Sakib]. Aggarwal had asked this other person to provide him with contacts for players playing in the Bangladesh Premier League,’ ICC said in its report.

Bangladesh Cricket Board chief executive officer Nizamuddin Chowdhury said they are aware of the identity of the ‘another person,’ as other players, who reported corrupt approach shared the information with them.

Nizamuddin indicated that the suspected link between Sakib and bookie Deepak Aggarwal is not a Bangladeshi.

The BCB chief executive officer said they will also sit with ICC in the coming days for more details of the investigation and for a clarification as to what extent Sakib can keep his involvement with cricket during his suspension period.

The clarification became necessary as Sakib still had two months left in his contract with BCB.

‘We were yet to decide about revoking his contract. We will sit [with ICC] about the matter,’ he said.

The BCB chief executive was hopeful Sakib’s ban would not affect the team commercially. 

The BCB will seek a new sponsor for national men’s and women’s team after its present deal with consumer goods giant Unilever expires on January 31 next year.

‘We will sign our next commercial deal for three years. Sakib is banned for only one year. So I don’t think it will affect us commercially,’ he said.

Sakib will be free to resume international cricket on October 29, 2020 subject to him satisfying the conditions in respect of the suspended part of the sanction.

The ban effectively ruled him out of next ICC World Twenty20, which will be held in Australia from October 8 to November 15 next year.

Speaking in a press conference after his ban was announced Sakib expressed his hope to comeback stronger.

Cricket coaches and former national players said Sakib’s ban is a fresh wake up call for Bangladesh as he became the first Bangladeshi cricketer to face corruption charge involving international matches.

BCB director and media committee chairman Jalal Yunus hoped the other players would learn from the event.

‘Our players are regularly briefed about such approaches. After what happened to Sakib I am sure they will take their lessons,’ he said.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

images