Woman set afire, killed

Our Correspondent . Lakshmipur | Published: 00:00, Apr 23,2019 | Updated: 23:46, Apr 22,2019


A 24-year-old woman, who was set afire allegedly by her reported husband at Ayubnagar of Kamalnagar upazila in Lakshmipur Sunday afternoon, died at the burn and plastic surgery unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital Monday morning.
The deceased was Shahenur Akhtar, daughter of Zafar Alam of Sonagazi village of Raujan upazila in Chattogram.
‘Shahenur was admitted to the burn unit Sunday evening and died at the hospital at about 11:00am on Monday,’ said the medical college police outpost in-charge inspector Bachchu Mia.
Police officials in Lakshmipur said that villagers rescued Shahenur from a field, close to her reported husband Salauddin’s house, Sunday afternoon and admitted her to Lakshmipur Sadar Hospital from where she was referred to the burn unit.
Police brought Shahenur to the burn unit, Bachchu said.
Shahenur, while undergoing treatment at Lakshmipur Sadar Hospital, told New Age on Sunday that she developed an affair with rickshaw-puller Salauddin of Ayubnagar village under Kamalnagar upazila in Lakshmipur and they married in Chattogram about one year and a half ago.
She said that Salauddin concealed that he was married and had two sons.
The victim said that she came to Ayubnagar village demanding recognition as Salauddin’s wife but Salauddin denied.
She went to local elites who asked her to bring documents of their marriage, Shahenur said.
She alleged that while she was going to her paternal home in Chattogram for the documents, Salauddin told her that he would never recognise her as his wife, doused her with kerosene and set fire to her in a nearby Soybean field.
Lakshmipur Sadar Hospital resident medical officer Anwar Hossain said that they sent Shahenur to the burn unit as her condition was critical.
Lakshmipur superintendent of police ASM Mahatab Uddin said that they visited the spot and talked to local people and detained two for interrogation.
After the incident, Salahudiin and his first wife fled the village with their two children, he said, adding that no case was lodged until Monday evening.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email