Hosne Ara killed trying to save husband

Son believes Samad still alive

Musfiqur Rahman Sifat at BAU and Zaman Monir in Sylhet | Published: 00:23, Mar 16,2019 | Updated: 18:40, Mar 17,2019


Hosne Ara Parvin

Son of former Bangladesh Agricultural University professor Abdus Samad, reportedly killed in Christchurch mosque shooting in New Zealand on Friday, said that they believed that Samad was still alive although injured.
Nephew of Hosne Ara Parvin, 42, said that she was killed in the shooting as she rushed to the mosque in search of her paralysed husband Farid Uddin who went to the mosque to offer Jumma prayers.
Bangladesh honorary consul general in Auckland of New Zealand Shafiqur Rahman Bhuiyan told New Age over phone that three of the Christchurch mosque shooting deceased were Bangladesh origin and two of them were former Bangladesh Agricultural University professor Abdus Samad and Hosne Ara Farid of Bishwanath upazila of Sylhet.
Samad’s eldest son Toha Mohammad, who lives in Dhaka, said that he, he talked to his mother New Zealand over phone and his mother and younger brother rushed to the hospital where the victims were taken.
He said that his father was at Al Noor Mosque in Christchurch during the shooting and that received bullets.
‘We were not confirmed about my father’s death either by the hospital or by the administration there. We have submitted his photo and needed documents to the hospital to identify him. We have to wait until Saturday morning to know about my father’s fate,’ he said.
‘We still hope that he is alive,’ Toha said.
Born on February 23, 1953 in Madhurhaliya under Nageshwari in Kurigram, Samad started his job in Bangladesh Agricultural Development Corporation and then joined it agronomy department as a lecturer in 1978, according to department officials.
He took voluntary retirement in December 2012 and went to New Zealand in 2013 and got citizenship there and had been working as a visiting professor of Lincoln University in Christchurch, his relatives said.
New Age correspondent in Kurigram reported that Samad was the third among five sons of his father and now two of his brothers live in Madhurhaliya area of Nageshwari upazila and the family members had been wailing as they were informed about the death.
Samad’s youngest brother Habibur Rahman said that Samad lived in Christchurch with his wife Keshwara Sultana and two sons – Tarek and Tanvir.
The nephew of Hosne Ara Parvin, 42, Delwar Hossain, told New Age that she came under attack when she went in search of her paralysed husband Farid Ahmad in the mosque.
Delwar said that Parvin, like other Fridays, along with her husband in a wheelchair went to Al Noor Mosque to offer Jumma prayers more than one hour before the terror attack, left him in the mosque and she went to offer her prayer where there was separate arrangement for women nearby.
‘Immediately after hearing the sounds of shooting, she rushed to the spot to find out and save her husband, but received bullets and died,’ Delwar said.
‘The body of my aunt is yet to be handed over to the family in New Zealand,’ he said in the evening.
He said that Parvin had been living in New Zealand with her husband since 1994. Her only daughter Shipa Ahmad, 17, also is also living there, he added.
New Zealand-expatriate Farid Ahmad was an inhabitant of Mirerchar village under Bishwanath upazila in Sylhet, relatives said.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email