Strike suspended at Ctg pvt hospitals

People suffer immensely during the strike

Our Correspondent . Chittagong | Published: 23:45, Jul 09,2018 | Updated: 23:50, Jul 09,2018


Executive magistrate Sarwoer Alam talks to media following a drive of RAB in Max Hospital in Chittagong on Sunday. — Focusbangla photo

Indefinite strike at private clinics, hospitals and diagnostic centres in Chittagong was withdrawn ‘temporarily’ Monday noon, a day after they went on strike protesting against the mobile court drives at two city hospitals on Sunday.
The owners of private hospitals, clinics and diagnostic centres ‘suspended’ their strike around 12:30pm, said Besharkari Chikitsha Pratishthan Samiti president Abul Kashem.
Considering the sufferings of patients and the situation, they ‘withdrew their decision temporarily’, he said.
Hundreds of patients crowded the city’s Chittagong Medical College and Hospital and other government hospitals till Monday noon.
On Sunday noon, the owners of private hospitals and clinics in Chittagong called an indefinite strike protesting at a mobile court drive in the city’s two private hospitals, causing sufferings to the patients and their relatives.
Date expired medicines and instruments in operation theatre, test report deception, fake signs on test reports, pharmacies without licence and many more irregularities came out in a daylong drive on Sunday from two private hospitals of Chittagong –Max Hospital and CSCR.
The drive was conducted jointly by Rapid Action Battalion-7, Directorate General of Drug Administration and Directorate General of Health Services.
During the drive the two hospitals were fined Tk 14 lakh and warned to bring effective corrections by 15 days.
The sudden strike cause severe sufferings to the patients and their relatives and they rushed to the city’s Chittagong Medical College Hospital and other government hospitals.
During visit, many patients were seen in front of Metro Hospital and Diagnostic Centre, Metropolitan Hospital, Royal Hospital and National Hospital though those were kept closed since Sunday noon.
Even admitted patients had to leave without treatment, they alleged.
With his ailing mother, Jyoti Barua came from Raozan to Sigma Lab for a test of her mother on Sunday night, he said.
‘We even could not enter the hospital,’ he said.
‘Such anarchy is possible only in this country’, he said, adding the hospitals authorities did not consider how long way he had to travel to get the treatment for his mother.
Sabera Khatun, a homemaker of Chadanaish, took admission on Sunday night in gynaecology ward of CMCH with some complications as they were refused admission at CSCR hospital.
She said that they started their journey on Sunday morning from Chandanash and reached Chittagong city at 2:30pm. They went to CSCR but the hospital authorities refused them admission.
With chest pain, Miraz, a resident of Bashbaria, took admission in cardiology ward of CMCH.
He went to National Hospital on Sunday noon but the hospital gate was closed and the gatekeeper told them to go to any government hospital, he said.
The shutdown of private hospitals caused surge in the number of patients at CMCH.
The hospital admitted about 4,500 patients from 5:00pm Sunday to 1:00pm on Monday though it on an average admits about 2,800 patients per day.
CMCH emergency department’s officer Nasir uddin said that usually 600 patients come for treatment in emergency department every day, but they treated about 1,100 patients from Sunday 5:00pm to 1:00pm Monday.
Bangladesh Medical Association’s Chittagong chapter president Mujibul Haque told New Age, ‘The strike was not called by BMA, but it extended support to the strike.’
‘We have told them to suspend their strike,’ he said.
‘The way the mobile court conducted drive was not right,’ he said, adding, running mobile court at any hospital should comprise representatives from doctors, civil surgeon office and BMA. 

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email