One held over Sylhet triple murder

Staff Correspondent . Sylhet | Published: 20:44, Jun 19,2021 | Updated: 05:22, Jun 20,2021


Police on Saturday arrested Hifzur Rahman, 35, who was undergoing treatment at Sylhet Osmani Medical College Hospital, for killing his wife and two children at his home of Binnakandi Dakshin Para village at Fatehpur union under Goainghat upazila in Sylhet on Wednesday early hours.

Sylhet district police superintendent Mohammad Farid Uddin confirmed this at a news briefing in his office in the afternoon.

Hifzur was admitted to the hospital under police supervision immediately after recovering the bodies of his wife Aleya Begum, 27, their son Mizan, 8, and daughter Tanisa, 3, from his house on Wednesday morning.

Referring to doctors, the police officer briefed that Hifzur’s condition has returned to normal and he would be discharge from the hospital today.

‘A petition will be filed with the court seeking permission to interrogate him in police custody after his discharge from the hospital,’ Farid Uddin said.

He said that based on different evidences and information extracted from the victims’ relatives and neighbours, it had been predicted that Hifzur has murdered his wife and two children.

‘If anybody else attacked the victims coming out of the house then Hifzur could be injured badly, because he must have tried to resist the attacker. But he was not wounded severely,’ Farid Uddin said adding that the billhook of their own house also been used to hack Aleya and cut-off throats of their two children.

He said that apart from quarrelling on various issues, Hifzur was annoyed with his wife since she had to visit doctors frequently for his ailment.

‘After all, Hifzur is a patient of mental disorder,’ the police officer said.

He added that interrogation was going on keeping these points in consider to identify the killer and reason behind the murders.

Aleya and her two children were killed on Wednesday.

Hifzur was also rescued at that time in unconscious state with several marks of injuries at different parts in his body.

Aleya’s father Ayub Ali filed a case with the police against several unidentified people that night.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email