Five people received burn injuries as a cigarette lighter exploded while one of them tried to burn a cigarette during playing cards at Bakalia area in Chattogram Saturday evening.
The injured ones who were rushed to Chattogram Medical College Hospital are Pradip Das, 52, Modhu Sudhan Dutta, 45, Zadu Biswas, 55, Pangkaj Dey, 40, and Kishore Kumar Dey, 42, said assistant sub-inspector Shilabrata Barua of CMCH police outpost.
The incident took place at Bharapukur Par of Bakalia area at about 8.50pm on Saturday, he said.
Quoting doctors, ASI Shilabrata Barua said that Pradip Das's condition was critical as he was burnt severely.
Quoting locals, the police officer said that the injured were playing cards in a room, owned by Abdul Hamid Mia, in the area.
Mohammed Raisul Islam, assistant commissioner (Chawkbazar zone) of Chattogram Metropolitan Police, told New Age that they learnt about the incident and went to the spot.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country