Musarat’s Death 

Investigators yet to find third key

Rights groups want to know whereabouts of Sayem

Muktadir Rashid | Published: 16:34, May 06,2021 | Updated: 01:02, May 07,2021

 
 

The police have yet to find the third key of the front door lock of a rented flat where college student Mosarat Jahan Munia was found hanging in the capital’s Gulshan on April 26.

The Gulshan police are investigating a case filed by the victim’s sister, Nusrat Jahan, against Bashundhara Group managing director Sayem Sobhan Anvir on charges of abetting Mosarat’s suicide.

The police have sealed the flat where Mosarat had been living since March 1 and Sayem used to visit often.

Gulshan police officer-in-charge Abul Hasan said that they had so far seized two keys from the flat during the investigation but they did not know about the third one.

Flat owner Ibrahim Ahmed Ripon told New Age on Thursday that he had given three keys of the main door lock to Mosarat Jahan when she had rented the flat in March in the presence of her sister Nusrat Jahan and her husband Mizanur Rahman.

Ibrahim said that they had submitted the copies of their identification documents, including national ID cards and passports.

He claimed that they rented the house saying that the family would stay at the flat.

Ibrahim claimed that Nusrat told him that they had rented the house as Mosarat’s wedding would be held there after completion her education.

Mizanur Rahman, however, said that they had received only two keys of the flat.

‘Mosarat used one key while Sayem had taken another,’ he said, dismissing the presence of the third key.

Sayem could not be reached for his comments despite several attempts.

The building’s caretaker, Rowshan Ali, said that different apartments had various kinds of keys — ranging from three to five — for their main doors.

Inspector Abul Hasan said that they installed a new lock in the flat’s main door to protect the evidence inside.

Sayem’s international travel was banned by the metropolitan magistrate court on April 27.

His wife and four family members flew for UAE on April 29.

Women rights campaigners in Dhaka on Thursday called upon investigators to reveal the whereabouts of Sayem, the main suspect in the case of abetting Mosarat’s suicide.

They made the call from a joint virtual press conference, hosted by the National Committee against Violence against Women, Social Anomy and Bangladesh Mahila Parishad and chaired by retired justice Nizamul Haq Nasim.

The campaigners also called on the agencies concerned to ensure fair and unbiased investigation into the death of the college girl.

They were critical about the role of media for not carrying follow-up reports on the issue.

Apart from  Sayem, Nazmul Karim Chowdhury Sharun, son of Shamsul Haque Chowdhury, a lawmaker for Chattogram 12 constituency and ruling party whip of the parliament, have also been linked with Mosarat’s death.

A metropolitan court has also slapped ban on the international movement of Nazmul.

The rights campaigners at the joint press conference demanded that the investigation should be free of any influence, the suspects should be brought to justice and victim blaming should be stopped.

They also expected a fair role of media.

Fauzia Moslem, National Committee against VAWG and Social Anomy convener and Bangladesh Mahila Parishad president, said that the victim blaming should be stopped immediately and people should know where the suspect, Sayem, was.

She said that the latest incident was the reflection of how excess wealth led the richest section of society to do whatever they wanted.

About the role of media over the incident, Dhaka University law teacher Mizanur Rahman said that there were so many media outlets in the country but the news related to Mosarat’s death were disappearing.

He was also critical about how the wife of suspect Sayem could leave the country when the matter was under investigation.

He said that the independent judiciary should answer the question.

Retired justice Nizamul Haq said that the issue was extremely sensitive but its investigation should be fair and transparent.

He said that they had not seen any attempt to detain or interrogate the ‘so-called’ suspect.

The retired justice, however, said that the time had not yet come to say that the investigators were not performing their duties properly.

He called on journalists to come up with investigative stories on the issue.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

images