BCB wary about controversial T-10 league

Staff Correspondent | Published: 22:30, Dec 24,2020

 
 

A total of six Bangladeshi cricketers were picked in the player’s draft of T-10 league on Wednesday but their participation in the UAE-based league is still uncertain as Bangladesh Cricket Board is yet to provide clearance to the players for the controversial 10-over cricket tournament.

The Bangladeshi players were selected by three franchises; Mosaddek Hossain, Taskin Ahmed and Mukter Ali were chosen by Maratha Arabians; Afif Hossain and Mahedi Hasan were picked by Bengal Tigers and Nasir Hossain was called up by Pune Devils.

But the league, owned by T-ten sports management, has been an epicenter of various cricket controversies with several allegations of illegal betting and spot fixing.

Shakib Al Hasan, who took part in the tournament in 2017, was banned for one-year by the ICC for having undisclosed contacts with Indian bookmaker Deepak Agarwal, who was one of the owners of the Sindhis franchise in the T-10 league.

ICC imposed a two-year ban on Agarwal on April 29.

Ali Ashfaq Thara, one of the owners of Kerala Knights, the team which won the inaugural edition of T-10 league, got arrested by Indian police in 2019 for betting and involvement in cricket corruption.

BCB is aware of the tournament’s reputation and will take a call on whether or not to give the No Objection Certificate to the players after considering everything, said cricket operations committee chairman Akram Khan.

‘Let the time come then we will see which player is available and then we will decide,’ Akram told New Age on Thursday.

‘Not just for T-10 league, we have taught every player from the age-level about the traps of cricket corruption. In this case, we will be more careful. So far no communication has been made from this T-10 league. We will decide after being contacted through proper channel,’ Akram said.

BCB had earlier denied NOC for six out of the seven cricketers who got picked to play in the T-10 league last year, with only Farhad Reza getting the nod.

‘Last year I was supposed to play, everything was in place. But BCB did not provide NOC. Maybe this time I will get the NOC and play. It will be a new experience as the matches will be shorter and more exciting’, said Mahedi, who was picked by Bangla Tigers last year but wasn’t allowed to play.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

images