Sinha Murder

Police oppose RAB findings in Shipra drug case

Our Correspondent . Cox’s Bazar | Published: 17:27, Dec 24,2020 | Updated: 16:13, Dec 25,2020


Shipra Rani Debnath

The police on Thursday sought further investigation into a case filed against Shipra Rani Debnath with Ramu police station in Cox’s Bazar in July over possessing illicit drugs after the Rapid Action Battalion had submitted the final report seeking her discharge.

After an hour-long hearing, senior judicial magistrate Delwar Hossain passed no order in open court keeping the next date for hearing pending.

The magistrate, however, confirmed permanent bail.

Shipra Debnath, one of the two arrested associates of slain retired army major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan, was arrested at Neelima resort at Ramu of Cox’s Bazar on the night of July 31 and was released from jail on bail after 10 days.

Shipra was prosecuted under a drug case by Ramu police station for possessing liquor and marijuana, among others.

Shipra’s counsel Arup Barua Tapu told New Age that the date for the next hearing was not finalised as yet.

The case complainant, sub-inspector Shafikul Islam, who was posted in Ramu during the time and was later transferred to the Cox’s Bazar, appeared in the court and sought further investigation as RAB investigating officer submitted the final report and sought her discharge from the case as they found no authenticity of the allegation.

The district court public prosecutor, Faridul Alam, said the complainant only placed an application seeking further investigation although the court police appealed to the judicial  magistrate to accept the final report.

Faridul said the court sought explanation from the police officer, Shafikul, for submitting the request for further investigation into the report submitted by another senior officer of the same department.

Lawyer Mohammad Jakaria said the RAB investigator did not even inquire to the complainant over the case before submitting the final report.

‘The complainant is not satisfied with the investigation,’ said Jakaria, who was assisting Shafikul in filing the application against the RAB report.

After coming out of the court, Shipra Debnath told reporters in Cox’s Bazar that the RAB investigation exposed the fact.

On December 21, RAB investigator additional police superintendent Biman Chandra Sarkar submitted the final report before the court.

Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan, 36, who took early retirement from the Bangladesh Army in November 2018, was shot dead at a police checkpoint on Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf Marine Drive at Shamlapur under Teknaf upazila in Cox’s Bazar on July 31.

Sinha’s eldest sister Sharmen Shahria Ferdush filed a murder case with the judicial magistrate court in Cox’s Bazar, leading the Teknaf police station to lodge a complaint. A charge sheet in the case was submitted accusing 12 police officers and rankers along with three villagers.

The police in Teknaf and Ramu police stations filed three cases following the incident.

In the First Information Report filed with Ramu police station, the complainant, sub-inspector Shafikul, alleged that the police had searched the rooms at Neelima Resort where Sinha’s team members used to live and found five bottles of foreign liquor and one bottle of locally made alcohol and a slip of marijuana.

RAB submitted the final reports of two more cases with Teknaf police station and Sinha’s cameraperson Shahidul Islam Shefat has been discharged already. 

On December 13, the RAB director (legal and media wing) Lieutenant Colonel Ashique Billah said RAB investigators did not find those cases to be authentic and it submitted the final reports to the court seeking dropping of the charges against Shipra and Shefat.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email