Death in Hospital

Charge sheet soon in ASP murder case: police

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:13, Nov 12,2020 | Updated: 00:17, Nov 12,2020


Police on Wednesday said that the charge sheet in the case of beating assistant superintendent of police Md Anisul Karim to death at Mind Aid Hospital in the capital’s Adabar would be submitted before the court as soon as possible.

Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s Tejgaon division deputy commissioner Harun or Rashid said this while visiting the victim’s residence at Baruda area in Gazipur city on Wednesday by way of extending his sympathy to the bereaved family.

Harun said that Anisul died after the hospital staff had beat him up while he had gone to the hospital for treatment accompanied by his physician sister.

A total of 11 people were arrested in the case and the court on Tuesday had granted a seven-day remand for 10 of them for interrogation in police custody, he said.

Their interrogation begins on Wednesday, he said, adding that one of the directors, Niaz Morshed, arrested on Tuesday, was ill and undergoing treatment. He said that Niaz Morshed would be produced before the court after his recovery.

Meanwhile, home minister Asaduzzaman Khan told reporters at his secretariat office that all the suspects involved in the killing would be brought to book through proper investigation.

He said that 11 people were arrested in the case and that if any further names surfaced during the investigation, they would be brought to justice.

Umme Salma, Anisul’s elder sister and Kuwait Maitree Hospital’s physician, in the presence of the police officials on a visit to their Gazipur home, said that the hospital staff took him away while he had been taking juice.

They told her that they would take Anisul to the toilet but they killed him within minutes, she added.

She said that Anisul had been feeling unwell for the past few days and she and her elder brother Rezaul Karim took him to Mind Aid Hospital at Adabor at about 11:00am on Monday.

After five to seven minutes, she said, a staff asked her to go to the room on the first floor and as she rushed there she found her brother lying on the floor in an unconscious condition.

She said that all the staff immediately fled the scene and as she cried out and called for a doctor, oxygen cylinder and sucker machine, none came forward to help.

The physician said that she herself made an attempt to resuscitate him by pressing the chest but with no immediate results.

Umme Salma said that they had let the hospital authorities know their identities and said that her police officer brother had no major mental problems but needed comfort for some days.

Anisul’s wife Sharmin Sultana demanded justice for the killing on behalf her family.

Anisul, a former student of Biochemistry at Jahangirnagar University, was taken to Mind Aid Hospital on Monday morning for psychiatric treatment as he had developed some mental health problems.

CCTV camera footage of the hospital showed that some staff members dragged Anisul into a room with cushioned walls and tortured him, following which the police officer fell unconscious.

The family than took him to the National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases where doctors declared him dead.

The deceased, a 31st BCS police cadre officer, was currently posted at the traffic department of the Barishal Metropolitan Police.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email