Custodial Death

Police probe finds Raihan tortured in custody

Iqbal Mahmud | Published: 00:59, Nov 09,2020


A police probe has found evidence of torture by suspended sub-inspector Akbar Hossain Bhuiyan that led to the death of Raihan Ahmed at the Bandar Bazar police outpost under the Kotwali police station in Sylher on October 11.

A senior police officer, preferring anonymity, said that the probe identified negligence of 10 to12 officers — sub-inspector and upwards — which allowed SI Akbar, the prime suspect in the case over the death from torture, to flee.

The police headquarters formed a three-member committee on October 19 to identify the cops and individuals who helped SI Akbar to flee.

The committee, headed by assistant inspector general Muhammad Ayub, submitted the report on November 1 which detailed the incidents and mentioned the officials responsible.

New Age asked police headquarters assistant inspector general for media Sohel Rana about the steps the authorities would take following the probe report.

He told New Age to send its queries on Whatsapp, but did not reply to those.  

Nearly a month has elapsed after the death but the police are still in the dark about where Akbar is hiding.

The family of Raihan became frustrated as there was no significant development in the investigation and no progress in terms of arresting the main accused.

Raihan’s mother Salma Begum said that they did not see any positive outcome of the police investigation.

‘Senior police officers promised me that SI Akbar would be arrested by November 10, but it seems that they were not on track in this regard. He is still out of reach,’ the mother said.

Salma, who went on hunger strike demanding justice for his son’s death on October 25, said that she would resort to further steps after November 10.

A family source said that Raihan’s family members might travel to Dhaka today (Monday) for meeting home minister Asaduzzaman Khan over the matter.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email