Raihan’s body bears 111 injury marks: autopsy report

United News of Bangladesh. Sylhet | Published: 16:45, Oct 18,2020


Raihan, who was allegedly beaten to death in police custody at Bandar Bazar police outpost, had 111 injury marks and two of his nails were pulled off, said the autopsy report.

His stomach was empty and there was only acidity liquid. He had severe internal bleeding because of excessive physical torture.

Raihan was tortured between two and four hours before his death. About two litres of blood was found underneath his skin, said Mohammad Shamsul Islam, head of the Forensic Department.

The autopsy report was handed over to the Police Bureau of Investigation on Saturday night.

Surveillance cameras at Bandarbazar police outpost showed that Raihan was brought in around 3:09am on October 10 in normal condition. He was seen being taken to Osmani Medical College Hospital at around 6:24am and he died around 7:50am.

 Later, the hospital authorities conducted an autopsy and found that Raihan died from physical torture.

‘His organs were damaged due to hypovolemic shock and neurogenic shock,’ said Shamsul adding, ‘The actual reason will be known after getting a viscera report.’

Raihan, 34, a resident of Akharia in Sylhet city, was beaten to death in police custody at Bandar Bazar police outpost on October 11, his family said.

His body was exhumed for a second post-mortem examination and buried again on October 15.

The district administration allowed the exhumation following an appeal by Kotwali police sub-inspector Abdul Baten, the investigation officer of the case.

PBI is currently investigating the case at the instructions of the police headquarters. The Sylhet Metropolitan Police have handed over the documents of the case to PBI.

The authorities on October 12 suspended four policemen, including officer-in-charge of Bandarbazar police outpost sub-inspector Akbar Hossain, in connection with the death.

PBI said it was looking for suspended SI Akbar and wrote to the immigration police to prevent him from leaving the country.

Raihan’s wife Tahmina Akter Tanni filed a case at Kotwali Police Station on October 12 accusing a number of unidentified people.

Meanwhile, the lawyers in Sylhet vowed to refrain from providing legal assistance to those involved in Raihan killing.

Sylhet District Lawyers Association took the decision at a view-exchange meeting on Saturday.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email