Man beaten to death in Sylhet

Staff Correspondent . Sylhet | Published: 23:36, Oct 11,2020


A man in his thirties was reportedly beaten to death in Sylhet on early Sunday.

Police claimed that Raihan Ahmed died in a mass beating after he had been captured by locals while trying to snatch money from a pedestrian. 

Raihan Ahmed is the son of the late Rafiqul Islam of Neharpara at Akhalia area in the city, police said.

Sylhet Metropolitan Police additional deputy commissioner Jyotirmay Sarker said that locals caught Raihan at Kastaghar area in the city and beat him.

‘A team of police rescued the victim and took him to Sylhet Osmani Medical College Hospital, but doctors declared him dead,’ the officer said.

Family members of the victim, however, alleged that he was beaten to death by police officers at Bandarbazar outpost of Kotwali Police Station.

They also said that Raihan was killed as he failed to pay extortion to the police.

Raihan’s mother Salma Begun told reporters that her son was compounder of a doctor at Stadium Market in the city.

She found his mobile switched off at about 10:30pm on Saturday.

‘Hours later, at 4:23am on Sunday Raihan phoned me from an unknown number and said that Bandarbazar police had detained him,’ she said.

‘My son said that police had been demanding Tk 10,000 as extortion. He said police would release him if we go to the police outpost with the amount immediately,’ she added.

Salma claimed that Raihan’s uncle Habibullah went to the police outpost with Tk 5,000 at about 5:30am but the officers declined to release Raihan in exchange of the amount and asked Habibulla to go there with Tk 10,000 at 9:00am to take him home.

‘The police told Habibullah, when he went to the police outpost with Tk 10,000, that Raihan was sent to the hospital after he had fallen sick,’ Salma said. She complained that her son was beaten to death for extortion.

SMP additional deputy commissioner Jyotirmay, however, told New Age that he was not aware of the allegations against the police.

Relatives and neighbours of the victim blocked Sylhet-Sunamganj Highway at the Akhalia area in the afternoon in protest at the death.

They, however, withdrew their protest after police assured them of recording a case.

Victim’s relatives told New Age that the body was handed over to the family in the afternoon after post-mortem examination at the SOMCH morgue.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email