A youth, who was killed according to a charge sheet, have returned to his home in Narayanganj on Wednesday, six years after his disappearance, dealing another blow to police investigation in the district.
Thirty-year-old Mamun was poisoned to death and later the body was dumped in the river Sitalakhya six years ago, mentioned the charge sheet of the Criminal Investigating Department of police, accusing six people.
Over a month ago, a huge blunder in police investigation came to light when the High Court ordered a judicial probe into the return of a girl who was presumed to have been raped and murdered in Narayanganj.
The teenage girl returned on August 23, around one and half months after her disappearance, although three accused people convicted of raping and murdering her pleaded guilty to the crimes.
Mamun’s cousin said that she was harassed by the youths following her refusal of a proposal for ‘love’ in 2014.
In the latest incident involving Mamun, who had been been living at the village home in Matalab of Chandpur for the last six years, suddenly returned, though his father Abul Kalam had sued six people for killing his son.
The accused in a case, filed two years after Mamun’s ‘disappearance’, included a girl, her father and brother and two other relatives.
Police arrested the six accused and they were imprisoned for one month to one year, said the girl.
Fatullah police were investigating the case and the CID took the charge of the case, according to the case documents.
The accused were remanded in police custody more than once and were forced to make confessional statements, but they never agreed, said the lawyer of the accused Emdad Hossain.
The CID then submitted the charge sheet in a Narayanganj court on December 18, 2019.
The accused are now freed on bail, said a court source.
Things, however, to a weird turn on Wednesday when Mamun returned to his home in Nrayanganj and later appeared before a court there after six years of disappearance.
Narayanganj court inspector Md Asaduzzaman said that the plaintiff’s family and reported victim appeared before the court on their own.
Mamun said that he left the house as his father used to scold him often. He stayed in different areas on Rajshahi and Natore and worked there to survive, but never communicated with the family.
The accused lawyer said that the CID submitted false charge sheet without investigating the case properly.
The plaintiff’s lawyer Sheikh Farid said that his client did not file the case mentioning any names.
The names got included in the charge sheet and arrests were made during the CID investigation, he said.
The 15-year-old teenage girl who returned on August 23 had gone missing on July 4.
Following her disappearance, acting on a case filed by the girl’s father on August 4, the police arrested three suspects in connection with the reported abduction.
On August 9, the accused gave confessional statements to the court of senior judicial magistrate Milton Hossain and judicial magistrate Ahmed Humayun Kabir.
The three confessed that they had dumped the teenager’s body into the river Shitalakhya after raping and murdering her.
In a surprising turn of events, Iqbal Pandit, allegedly the husband of the schoolgirl, called her family and informed them that she was alive and living with him.
The family of accused said that they were tortured and forced to make the confessional statements.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country