Sinha killing charge sheet likely in Oct

Muktadir Rashid | Published: 23:52, Sep 29,2020


Sinha Md Rashed Khan

The Rapid Action Battalion investigators are now scrutinising the evidence collected in their investigation  into the killing of retired army major Sinha Md Rashed Khan.

They are also trying to ascertain whether any suspect was left out of their investigation.

The investigators on Tuesday submitted an application seeking a 10-day remand for Rubel Sharma, 30, a police constable, in connection with the killing.

Rubel served under suspended Teknaf police station officer-in-charge Pradeep Kumar Das.

The court is set to hear the remand application today, said senior assistant superintendent Khairul Islam, of RAB-15, who was investigating the case.

Sinha, 36, who took early retirement from the Bangladesh Army in November 2018, was shot dead at a police checkpoint on Cox’s Bazar–Teknaf Marine Drive at Shamlapur under Teknaf upazila in Cox’s Bazar on July 31.   

Khairul said that they were now examining the evidence collected so far in the case and were making sure if anyone was left out in the case.

 The investigation officer said that Rubel was an important suspect in the case and so they sought a 10-day remand to interrogate him in their custody.

Rubel was arrested on September 13 after the interrogation of six policemen and he has been in Cox’s Bazar jail since September 14. 

Rubel was with Pradeep when he reached the spot about half-an-hour after the retired major was shot dead by Baharchhara police investigation centre in-charge Liyakat Ali at a checkpoint on July 31.

Khairul did not say when they would be wrapping up the investigation but a senior official at the RAB told New Age that they completed the investigation and hoped that the charge would be submitted in October.

The official seeking anonymity also said that they were looking for one police constable named Sagar Dev of the Teknaf police station who went into ‘hiding’ after he was transferred to Bagerhat.

‘He was on leave and did not join his workplace,’ said the official.

Bagherhat police superintendent Pankaj Chandra Roy said that Sagar was posted to the court police.

Asked about his whereabouts, Pankaj said, ‘Let us see. Where could he go?’

Court police inspector Dilip Sarkar said that Sagar was on a 10-day leave and went to his home district Chattogram.

He could not remember the date of his scheduled return but said that he might be enjoying medical leave now.

RAB spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Ashique Billah could not be reached after multiple attempts.      

Pradeep and Liyakat were arrested following their surrender to a court on August 6 along with four other colleagues in connection with the Sinha murder case.

The case was filed by Sinha’s sister Sharmin Sahariar Ferdous on August 5 with the judicial magistrate court in Cox’s Bazar accusing nine policemen.

The RAB investigators have so far arrested 14, including 11 policemen and three civilians.

Of them, nine policemen, including prime accused Liyakat, and three civilians have made statements under Section 164 before the court.

Pradeep did not make Section 164 statement. He was transferred to Chattogram on September 12.

Sharmin told New Age that they were getting updates of the investigation agency, and they were also informed that the charge sheet would be submitted in October.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email