BCB hopes to get feedback from SL soon

Staff Correspondent | Published: 23:09, Sep 17,2020


Bangladesh Cricket Board is expecting to hear the final decision of its Sri Lankan counterpart about the changes it demanded on the proposed COVID-19 protocol in the next two-three days, said BCB director Jalal Yunus.

The two boards have been squabbling for the past week about Sri Lanka Cricket’s proposed strict regulations on the touring Bangladesh side, which BCB has refused to accept.

BCB president Nazmul Hasan on Monday said that the Bangladesh national team won’t tour Sri Lanka if the conditions are not eased and his threat to pull out from the series prompted SLC to try and renegotiate the conditions with its health authorities.

Jalal, who is also BCB’s media committee chairman, told the reporters on Thursday that the matter was now out of SLC’s hands and the final call will be taken by Sri Lanka’s COVID-19 task force.

‘Now nothing is in SLC’s hands. In Sri Lanka, there is a task force to tackle the COVID-19 situation, they control everything. They will inform SLC then SLC will relay it to us,’ said Jalal.

‘We can’t tell anything from here. Now it has become a national level decision, not limited to SLC anymore. We can’t make any move from here. They will inform us, we are eagerly waiting. Hopefully things will be clear in two-three days,’ he added.

BCB’s main point of contention was the proposed two-week quarantine and the restriction on movement on cricketers during that period, which it has pointed out to SLC.

‘We said that the duration of quarantine has to be shortened and at the same time we should be provided with the facilities to train. We informed them about these matters. Now we are waiting for their decision,’ Jalal said.

Meanwhile, SLC vice-president Ravin Wickramaratne told cricket website Cricinfo that they have very little room to go against the task force’s call.

‘We had a positive meeting with the COVID-19 task force yesterday [Tuesday] and everyone was in agreement that we should make this tour happen. But we have to take what the doctors are saying into account also,’ he was quoted saying on Wednesday.

Amid the confusion regarding the tour, BCB halted the individual training session on Thursday as they will start testing the players and officials for COVID-19 for the second time starting from today.

Those stationed in Dhaka will provide their sample today and those who are arriving in Dhaka from other places will provide their sample on Saturday.

Jalal also said that BCB is carrying out all the measures considering the tour will take place in time and he hoped the external issues will not affect the players.

‘We are ready. If any positive reply comes, we could be ready in a week. That will not be a problem. But if they make too much delay than that could be a problem.’

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email