Offbeat

Advertisement

 

Iraqis dig up COVID-19 dead to rebury in family graves

Agence France-Presse .Najaf, Iraq | Published: 10:22, Sep 13,2020

 
 

An Iraqi family digs up the corpse of a relative, who died of the novel coronavirus, at a coronavirus cemetery in a plot of desert outside the Shiite holy city of Najaf to be transferred to a family cemetery for reburial on September 11, 2020. — AFP photo

Mohammad al-Bahadli dug into Iraq’s hot desert sand with bare hands to reach his father’s corpse.

‘Now he can finally be with our people, our family, in the old cemetery,’ 49-year-old Bahadli said, as relatives sobbed over the body, wrapped in a shroud.

After restrictions were eased for the burying of those who died of the novel coronavirus, Iraqis were exhuming the victims to rebury them in their rightful place in family cemeteries.

For months, families of those who died after contracting COVID-19 were barred from taking the body back to bury in family tombs, for fear the corpses could still spread the virus.

Instead, the authorities established a ‘coronavirus cemetery’ in a plot of desert outside the shrine city of Najaf, where volunteers in protective gear carefully buried victims spaced five metres apart.

Only one relative was permitted to attend the speedy burials, which often happened in the middle of the night.

Victims from all religious sects — both Shiite and Sunni Muslims, as well as Christians — were buried there.

But on September 7, Iraqi authorities announced they would permit those who died after contracting COVID-19 to be relocated to the cemetery of their family’s choice.

Many of those buried under the emergency rules came from other parts of the country.

Iraq had been one of the hardest-hit countries in the Middle East by COVID-19, with more than 280,000 infections and nearly 8,000 deaths.

On September 4, the World Health Organisation said ‘the likelihood of transmission when handling human remains is low.’

Days later, after pressure from families, Iraqi authorities announced they would permit bodies to be transferred only by ‘specialised health teams.’

But the first re-burials proved chaotic.

At the ‘coronavirus cemetery’ in the desert outside Najaf, hundreds of families began arriving late Thursday to dig up their family member and carry the body home.

They brought their own shovels, baskets to scoop away the sand, and new wooden coffins to carry the dead.

There were no medical professionals or cemetery guides on site to help families locate or properly excavate the bodies, an AFP correspondent said.

In some cases, families dug into a grave site marked with a relative’s name, only to find an empty coffin, or to uncover the body of a young man when they were expecting to find the corpse of their elderly mother.

Other bodies were not wrapped in burial shrouds, required by Islam as a sign of respect.

The findings sparked outraged criticism of the state-sponsored armed group that had taken charge of the burials in recent months, with some angry relatives setting fire to the faction’s base nearby.

‘The grave-diggers don’t have expertise or the right materials,’ said Abdallah Kareem, whose brother Ahmed died of complications from COVID-19.

‘They don’t even know how to locate the graves,’ he told AFP while tending to the grave.

Despite the complications, families were nevertheless relieved to have the closure that a traditional burial brought.

The 53-year-old Husseindug up his father’s body by hand to transfer him to the vast Wadi al-Salam cemetery, where millions of Shiite Muslims were buried.

‘The dream that had been haunting me for these last few months has been realised,’ Hussein said.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

images