3 ruling party leaders of Faridpur remanded over money laundering charges

Court Correspondent | Published: 19:36, Aug 12,2020 | Updated: 01:53, Aug 13,2020


A Dhaka court on Wednesday placed three leaders of Awami League, Juba League and Sramik League of Faridpur on a two-day remand each in the custody of the Criminal Investigation Department of police over a money laundering case involving Tk 2,000 crore.

The arrested were Awami League’s Faridpur municipal unit president Nazmul Islam Khandaker Levy, Faridpur municipal unit Juba League general secretary Asibur Rahman Farhan, and district Sramik League treasurer Billal Hossain.

The three arrested between July 31 and August 2 in different areas of the district.

Locals said that the arrested leaders used their link with senior politicians of the district to carry out their criminal activities, including extortion and land grabbing.

They were arrested on the basis of confessional statements of sacked Faridpur municipal unit Awami League general secretary Sazzad Hossain Barkat and his brother Imtiaz Hasan Rubel, CID officials said.

The CID on June 26 lodged the case with Kafrul police station in the capital against recently-sacked Faridpur municipal unit Awami League general secretary Sazzad Hossain Barkat and his brother Imtiaz Hasan Rubel accusing them of money laundering.

The siblings were later arrested and they reportedly made confession on July 24, following interrogation in police custody for three days.

Metropolitan magistrate Abu Sayeed on Wednesday passed the order after Uttam Kumar Biswas, assistant superintendent of police of the CID and also the investigation officer of the case, produced them before the court with a 10-day remand prayer.

In the remand prayer, the police officer said that the three accused were directly involved in money laundering and they need to be remanded to determine the whereabouts of the others responsible for committing such offences, the investigation officer added.

On the other hand, defense submitted a petition seeking bail along with cancellation of the remand prayer on the grounds that their clients were not linked to the incident.

After hearing both sides, the magistrate turned down their bail petition and issued the remand order.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email