Ex-Major Sinha Killing

Withdrawal of Cox’s Bazar SP demanded

Muktadir Rashid | Published: 17:38, Aug 10,2020 | Updated: 00:44, Aug 11,2020


Former army major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan’s mother Nasima Akhter briefs reporters after meeting with Retired Armed Forces Officers Welfare Association chairman Khandaker Nurul Afser at her residence at Uttara in Dhaka on Monday. — New Age photo

A platform of retired defence officers on Monday demanded the withdrawal of Cox’s Bazar police superintendent ABM Masud Hossain to facilitate proper investigation into the killing of ex-army major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan.

Retired Armed Forces Officers Welfare Association chairman Khandaker Nurul Afser in a briefing at the house of Sinha in Dhaka’s Uttara also demanded the government to reform the police department to make sure that the force would be supervised by the deputy commissioner in districts.

The platform also demanded an end to extrajudicial killings and called for the trial of each of the ‘140 extrajudicial killings committed’ by suspended Teknaf police station officer-in-charge Pradeep Kumar Das.

‘If they are supervised properly, they cannot show such arrogance,’ Afser, a retired army major, said at the briefing.

During the briefing, Sinha’s mother Nasima Akhter expressed her satisfaction over the initial steps taken by the government.

She said that the then  Teknaf police officer-in-charge Pradeep called her following the incident but hid the news of the death of her son and another group of police had visited their Dhaka house on August 1 to inquire about Sinha.

Terming the death of Sinha as ‘cold-headed murder’ the RAOWA chairman demanded a speedy trial of the case. The RAOWA has formed two subcommittees — one to monitor the judicial issue and another to monitor media — as part of its campaign for justice for Sinha.

Sinha, 36, who took early retirement from the Bangladesh Army in November 2018, was shot dead at a police checkpoint on Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf Marine Drive at Shamlapur under Teknaf upazila in Cox’s Bazar on July 31.

Seven policemen, including the then Teknaf police station officer-in-charge Pradeep, surrendered to the court following a case filed by the Sinha’s family last week.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email