The government on Thursday asked heads of all departments to ensure attendance of employees by revoking the existing shift rotation system introduced on June 1 amid the coronavirus crisis.
‘The heads of the departments will now decide how many officials and employees would be necessary to run their offices smoothly and there would be no such rotation of duty which allowed only 25 per cent of their workforce in office at a time,’ state minister for public administration Farhad Hossain told New Age.
He said that the previous decision of duty on a rotating basis had been reviewed in the wake of the ongoing flood that had already hit half of the country, affecting around 55 lakh people during the ongoing coronavirus crisis.
‘Work piled up at many offices since the country is facing the flood and the COVID-19 crisis at the same time. We want to make sure that people get quality services during the present crisis properly,’ the junior minister said.
He said that the authorities were asked to ensure that the health safety guideline was maintained at all offices.
Ill and pregnant women would not be required to attend office during the coronavirus crisis, he said.
The government and private offices reopened on May 31 on a limited scale after over two months of nationwide shutdown amid the fear of further increase in the number of COVID-19 infections and deaths.
Later on June 1, the public administration ministry asked all departments concerned to make their employees work on a rotation basis to make sure that only the number of people necessary to run the day-to-day works attended offices wearing masks and maintaining other health safety instructions.
The general holiday imposed to contain the coronavirus pandemic, which was also extended in phases since March 26, ended on May 30 following the first COVID-19 cases were detected on March 8 in the country.
The coronavirus cases neared 2.50 lakh with the death toll reaching 3,306 on Thursday.
The government has, however, extended the restrictions on businesses and public movement across the country until August 31 in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19, according to a notification.
The Cabinet Division issued the notification mentioning that the restrictions would continue from August 4 to August 31.
The move to extend the restriction on public movement came at a time when people are rampantly moving around without wearing masks and maintaining social distancing.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country