Senior journalist Faruk Quazi passes away

Staff Correspondent | Published: 10:55, Jul 03,2020 | Updated: 00:56, Jul 04,2020


Faruk Quazi

Senior journalist Faruk Quazi died in his sleep at his flat on Elephant Road in Dhaka on Friday morning.

He was 71.

His daughter Arshi Quazi said that her father was diagnosed with kidney failure on Thursday and he was kept sedated for pain.

She said that after 58-hour of deep sleep, ‘my dad died at about 8:00am on Friday,’ she said.   

She said that her father was buried at Rayerbazar Intellectual Graveyard in Mohammadpur at 2:30pm.

Earlier, journalists, family members and well-wisher paid their last respect to Faruk Quazi at his namaz-e-janaza held at the Kataban mosque after zuhr prayer.

He left behind his wife and a daughter.

Faruk Quazi was a pioneer law reporter and introduced law reporting by journalists.

He covered the Supreme Court’s proceedings as reporter for now defunct Banglar Bani since 1972. He covered parliament also.

Earlier Faruk Quazi worked with the Desh Bangla and The Azad.

He served as the press minister at Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi and also worked as the deputy press secretary of prime minister Sheikh Hasina during the Awami League’s tenure in 1996-2001.

Faruk Quazi worked as the chief reporter of United News of Bangladesh and also worked with the Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha.

He was almost freelancer until his death after he resigned as UNB’s chief reporter.

Faruk Quazi was the elder brother of journalist, writer and actor Quazi Rashidul Huq Pasha.

He was born on January 20 in Kushtia in 1949.

Prime minister Sheikh Hasina, chief justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, law minister Anisul Huq, prime minister’s press wing, Dhaka South mayor Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh and Law Reporters Forum expressed condolence at the demise of Faruk Quazi and prayed for his eternal peace and expressed sympathy to the bereaved family members.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email