Launch Capsize

Death toll reaches 34, rescue operation ends

Staff Correspondent | Published: 13:43, Jun 30,2020 | Updated: 00:18, Jul 01,2020


Coast Guard and Fire Service teams pull up the Morning Bird launch, which capsized in the Buriganga near Shyambazar in Dhaka, on Tuesday. — New Age photo

The death toll from Monday’s launch capsize in the River Buriganga ran into 34 on Tuesday while the authorities officially called off the rescue operation after pulling off the launch.

A passenger was rescued from inside of the capsized launch in the river Buriganga about 13 hours after the accident while none was reported missing in the incident.

A Dhaka Chief Judicial Magistrate Court fixed August 17 for the submission of an investigation report pertaining to a case filed by the River Police in connection with the launch accident.

None was arrested in the case until 8:00pm on Tuesday.

The capsized launch was yet to be recovered from river while it was tied with Cumilla Dockyard at Lalkuthi point in Sadarghat, said officials of Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority.

A probe committee formed by BIWTA is scheduled to submit report today on the incident.

Earlier on Monday Morning Bird, a boat on its way to Dhaka from Munshiganj capsized within seconds in the river with about 50 passengers on board at Farashganj area when a ferry, Mayur 2, hit it.

During the joint operation of Fire Service, Coast Guard, Bangladesh Navy, River Police and BIWTA 32 bodies were recovered on Monday.

On Tuesday two more bodies were recovered one from inside of the launch and one floated on the water.

On Monday night a man came out of the overturned launch.

Sumon Bepari, the survivor, was undergoing treatment at Sir Salimullah Medical College in Dhaka.

No report of missing passenger was found, Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority chairman Commodore Golam Sadeq told New Age.

Meanwhile Sadarghat River Police Station sub-inspector Mohammad Shamsul Alam filed a case with Dakkhin Keraniganj Police Station against the owner including Mofazzal Hamid Choyad and six staffs of Mayur-2 launch and five to seven unidentified people in connection with the launch accident.

Shamsul Alam told New Age that the case was filed on the date of June 30 and none was arrested till 8:00pm on Tuesday.

Police was searching for the accused, he added.

BIWTA chairman Golam Sadeq said that at 2:20pm on Tuesday they officially called off the rescue operation while river police was still on search for any more body.

The capsized launch was dragged to Cumilla dockyard at Lalkuthi point in Sadarghat and it was anchored there, he said.

Decision would be taken later what would be done with the launch, he added.

Earlier the rescue team tried to float the launch but failed and it was still on upside down position on the river bed.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email