Wife, mother-in-law sued over death of journalist Nannu

Staff Correspondent | Published: 18:33, Jun 29,2020 | Updated: 01:37, Jun 30,2020


Moazzem Hossain Nannu

A murder case has been filed against daily Jugantor journalist Moazzem Hossain Nannu’s wife and mother-in-law over his death in fire incident more than two weeks ago.

The late journalist’s brother Nazrul Islam filed the case with Badda police station on Monday against Moazzem’s wife Shahina Hossain Pallabi and mother-in-law Shanta Parvez, said police.

Critically burnt crime reporter Nannu of daily Jugantor died in a Dhaka hospital on June 12, six months after the death of his son in a similar incident of fire in their flat at Aftabnagar of Badda in Dhaka.

His only son Swapneel Ahmed Piyash died in a fire incident on January 2 in the same room where Moazzem was burnt, the family.

Earlier, police had launched an inquiry following the death and called the crime scene unit of the Criminal Investigation Department 36 hours after the fire incident in a room of his flat on the ninth-floor of a 10-storey building.

In the FIR, the brother Nazrul complained that the wife and mother-in-law set fire to the flat and burnt Nannu in a planned way.

Nazrul said that there were quarrel between Nannu and his wife a few hours before the incident and the mother-in-law was present in the house then.

After the fire incident, Shahina and Shanta did not try to rescue the journalist. Nannu tried to douse the fire by himself and then came down to the road when locals rescued him and rushed to the hospital, said Nazrul.

The brother also said that Nannu’s wife fed him soup while he was undergoing treatment in the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute. The soup was cooked in the house of a co-worker of Shahina.

Nannu died within a few hours after having the soup.

When contacted, Nannu’s wife Shahina said that she would not comment on the issue. Police said that the body was taken and buried without post-mortem examination since the wife insisted for it then.

Badda police sub-inspector and investigating officer Milon Fakir said that they had received complaints and would launch an investigation shortly.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email