Police begin probe into death of journalist Nannu

Colleagues want fair investigation

Muktadir Rashid | Published: 00:47, Jun 15,2020


The police and detectives have started an investigation into the death of daily Jugantor crime reporter Moazzem Hossain Nannu in a fire incident but were yet to conduct crime scene scanning by the Criminal Investigation Department and bomb disposal unit of Dhaka Metropolitan Police as his apartment was locked due to the absence of his family.

The Gulshan police deputy commissioner, Sudip Kumar Chakraborty, said that they found a number of contradictory statements over the death and the source of fire.

He said the crime scene unit of CID and a bomb disposal unit of DMP had already visited the scene following the death on Saturday but no evidence could be collected as the door of the flat was locked.

‘We have many questions including the source of fire,’ Sudip told New Age on Sunday.

He said his wife went to Jashore for burial and on return, they would talk to her formally and examine the apartment. 

On Saturday, critically burnt reporter Moazzem died in a Dhaka hospital six months after the death of his son in a similar incident in their flat.

His only son Swapneel Ahmed Piyash died in a fire incident on January 2 in the same room where Moazzem was burnt, said the family.

No criminal investigation was conducted during his son’s death as it was described that he died in an explosion of an air conditioner in the room.

Five months later, similar fire injured Nannu.

Nannu’s wife Shahana Hossain Pallabi told media that Moazzem returned from the office at about 2:00am on Friday and took his dinner after taking shower.

Then he went to the room to offer tahajjut or night prayers.

Pallabi said she was in another room when she heard a big bang and saw Nannu on fire was rushing to the washroom. Pallabi claimed that they had smelt gas for last few days in the apartment, but technicians told them that gas might be coming from the commode.

His colleagues told New Age that he went out of his office at about 12 midnight and it hardly takes 10 minutes to reach his flat.

‘We wanted to know where he was about two hours after he left the office,’ said one of his colleagues at the daily Jugantor.

Pallabi repeatedly blaming the building construction company for their negligence as she often smelt gas.

‘We confirmed that the building was handed over 7 years ago and the builder even made fresh repairing after the death of their son,’ Sudip said, adding, ‘We are verifying the complaint.’ He said they were told that the fire broke out when Moazzem lit his lighter for smoking.

Witnesses told New Age that they found only one room was badly burnt while the kitchen and other rooms were intact.

The Crime Reporters Association of Bangladesh will hold a meeting today to discuss whether they will launch an independent investigation apart from the police.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email