7 of a family burnt in gas explosion at Savar

Staff Correspondent | Published: 22:54, Jun 09,2020


At least seven members, including two children, of a family were burnt in a gas cylinder blast at Ashulia in Savar, on the outskirts of the capital, on Tuesday.

Md Zihad Miah, warehouse inspector of Fire Service and Civil Defence at Dhaka Export Processing Zone unit, said that a part of the roof and a brick wall collapsed due to the blast and doors, windows and some belongings of the family were damaged in the fire.

A three-member probe committee was formed to investigate the incident, he said.

Fire service officials said that the explosion took place at a flat on the ground floor of a two-storey building in Purbo Kathgora area at about 5:00am when one of the family members tried to light a gas stove with matchsticks.

Injured Liton, 32, Shanta, 25, Imran, 5, Azijul, 7, Salma, 30, Sohel, 27 and Ripon, 26, were taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.

Conditions of Liton and Shanta are critical, the officials added.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email