Lockdown imposed in Rajshahi, Khulna

Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha . Rajshahi/Khulna | Published: 13:45, Apr 14,2020


Local administrations have put Rajshahi district and Karimnagar area in Choto Boyra of Khulna city under lockdown following detection of coronavirus positive cases on Monday and Sunday.

Rajshahi district has been put under lockdown from Tuesday until further order following detection of two new positive cases of coronavirus on Monday and Sunday.

District magistrate Hamidul Haque has imposed the lockdown that came into effect from 10:00am to combat further spread of the virus.

In a mass-statement issued Tuesday morning, he stated that none can be allowed to leave the district and or enter into it through any of the roads, highways and other ways. All the mass-transports excluding all emergency ones and mass-gathering have been suspended.

He also said legal action will be taken against those who will be found guilty of violating the executive order.

It may be mentioned here that the first positive case was detected in Puthiya Upazila on Sunday while the second one in Bagmara Upazila on Monday, said Rajshahi Civil Surgeon Dr Enamul Haque.

Existence of the virus has been spotted after testing samples collected from the infected persons at the COVID-19 Laboratory in Rajshahi Medical College Hospital here.

Subsequently, the houses along with the adjacent ones were kept on lockdown.

In Khulna, the local administration has put Karimnagar area in choto Boyra of the city under lockdown last night after a coronavirus infected patient detected.

Khulna civil surgeon Dr Suzat Ahmed on Tuesday said the Karimnagar area has been locked down since last night after a 62 year man returned from Tablig Jamat was tested coronavirus positive at the COVID-19 Laboratory of Khulna Medical College and Hospital.

Khulna district administration locked down the area and called upon people in this area to remain at home quarantine, maintain social distancing and abide by the health directives of the government, he said.

Dr Ahmed said the man came home on April 4 after a 120-day Tablig Chilla and he was found positive for the virus on Monday.

Family sources said he went to different parts of the country, including Narayanganj, during the Tablig safar.

‘This is the first coronavirus case in Khulna,’ the civil surgeon said.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email