To contain the spread of coronavirus, the shootings of small screen productions – TV plays, TVCs and others – will remain cancelled from March 22 to 31.
The decision was taken at an emergency meeting on Thursday evening amid surge in coronavirus patients in Bangladesh.
Earlier on Thursday afternoon, representatives of Actors’ Equity, Directors’ Guild, Television Programme Producers’ Association of Bangladesh and others met information minister Hasan Mahmud and discussed the circumstances.
Ahsan Habib Nasim, general secretary of Actors’ Equity confirmed the matter to New Age.
‘Coronavirus is now a global concern. We decided to stop all shooting activities from March 22 to 31 as the government has urged to stop mass gatherings,’ Ahsan Habib Nasim told New Age.
‘People working in the entertainment industry earn their livelihoods by shooting related activities. Each shooting unit has at least 30 cast and crew members. If we stop shooting for a single day, it will affect their livelihoods. It is unfortunate that we had to stop all shooting activities till March 31,’ SA Haque Alik, general secretary of the Directors’ Guild, told New Age.
‘We urged information ministry to provide financial assistance for the crew members if the situation worsen,’ added Alik.
Popular actor Zahid Hasan said, ‘I think that it is a timely decision. I called off my shootings two days ago. I urge everyone to remain indoors and stay safe.’
Earlier, Bangladesh Group Theatre Federation, the umbrella theatre organisation which promotes theatre troupes and theatre practices across the country, suspended theatre activities –shows, rehearsals and others – from March 17 to 31 to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Cinemas across the country have been shut down till April 2.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from TV