29 more people die of Coronavirus in China, total death toll 2744

334 new patients identified in S Korea, total 1,595

New Age . Online Desk | Published: 13:20, Feb 27,2020

 
 

A Child wearing a mask to protect himself from the deadly coronavirus in Hubei province. —AFP photo

China reported 29 more deaths on Thursday from the new coronavirus epidemic, the lowest daily figure in almost a month, and the number of fresh infections rose slightly.

The death toll now stands at 2,744 in mainland China, according to the National Health Commission.

The daily tally of fatalities has fallen for three straight days now, hitting the lowest mark since January 29, when 26 new deaths were reported.

The commission reported 433 new cases, with all but 24 in central Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak that first emerged in December in its capital, Wuhan.

There are now nearly 78,500 cases in total.

The number of new infections outside Hubei had been falling steadily in the past week, but it went back up from five on Wednesday.

While Hubei remains under lockdown, cities in the rest of the country are slowly returning to work, though schools remain closed and Beijing requires people returning to the capital to go into 14-day self-quarantine.

Meanwhile, South Korea reported 334 new coronavirus cases Thursday, taking its total to 1,595, still the largest in the world outside China, where the disease first emerged.

No new deaths had occurred, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a statement, with the toll remaining at 12.

According to a report of Xinhua via Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha, health minister Victor Costache confirmed late Wednesday that a 20-year-old Romanian had been tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

He had contact Tuesday with a visiting 71-year-old Italian who was infected with the virus after returning home.

According to Costache, the young man, who had been asymptomatic, was screened for the virus because of his close contact with the Italian man who visited southern Romania in February 18-22.

The other seven family members of the young man were uninfected for the time being and are currently in home quarantine in Gorj County, some 300 km northwest of Bucharest, capital of Romania.

Local epidemiological investigations are underway and 33 blood samples are waiting for test results, said the minister, adding that ‘it is in a rural environment, not in a city with a large population, and we can take effective measures.’

According to a release of the foreign ministry, the Italian citizen had been in southern Romania, visiting the relatives of his Romanian wife. He also had several business meetings before returning home.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

images