BCB scraps foreign players’ quota from DPL

Staff Correspondent | Published: 22:26, Feb 23,2020

 
 

The Cricket Committee of Dhaka Metropolis on Sunday decided to drop the quota of foreign players for the upcoming edition of Dhaka Premier League, scheduled to start on March 15.

This is the first time in recent DPL history the premier 50-over club competition will be held without any foreign player.

The unavailability of quality foreign players forced the CCDM to take such decision, said the officials, pointing out that foreign players at the twilight of their careers only participated in the competition in recent years.

Wasim Jaffer, Abhimanyu Easwaran and Saad Nasim were among the foreign players to play for different clubs in recent years unlike the global superstars, who came in the past.

‘I think it will be a great opportunity for our local players. We don’t see foreign players in BCL and NCL. We want to do the same in DPL for this year. We have made up the decision after discussing with the board and the clubs,’ CCDM chairman Kazi Inam Ahmed told reporters in Mirpur.

The CCDM also decided to leave the players transfer open, discarding the old player-by-choice-system.

Ending of controversial player-by-choice-system was one of the 13 demands of Bangladeshi players during their strike in October last year.

Inam confirmed that the players’ transfer would take place from March 3-5.

Inam said that the national team players will be given a chance to complete their transfer formalities in Sylhet as they will be busy with the one-day international series against Zimbabwe during the period.

Inam informed that the initial few matches of DPL this year would be held outside Dhaka, most likely in Chattogram and Cox’s Bazar as they wanted to give the Mirpur and BKSP wickets some respite.

As per the clubs’ request, the BCB will provide accommodation and travel fees of the players when the DPL matches will be held outside Dhaka, said Inam.

The CCDM also decided to reduce the number of teams to six from 12 for the DPL Twenty20 tournament, which will be held after the 50-over tournament.

The clubs who will progress to Super Six round will have the chance to play in the tournament, he said.

‘They will have the opportunity to include maximum three players from the bottom six teams for the Twenty20 tournament,’ said Inam.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

images