China virus death toll surges past 2,000

Passengers leave Japan virus ship

Agence France-Presse . Beijing | Published: 11:12, Feb 19,2020 | Updated: 00:11, Feb 20,2020

 
 

Patients with mild symptoms of the COVID-19 coronavirus exercising at night in the temporary Fangcai Hospital set up in a sports stadium in Wuhan, in China’s central Hubei province on Tuesday. — AFP photo

The death toll from China’s new coronavirus epidemic jumped past 2,000 on Wednesday after 136 more people died, with the number of new cases falling for a second straight day, according to the National Health Commission.

This brings the total number of confirmed cases in mainland China to 74,185.

The death toll rose to 2,004, with most of the deaths in central Hubei province, where the virus first emerged in December before spiralling into a nationwide epidemic.

In its daily update, the National Health Commission reported 1,749 new cases of people infected with the virus nationwide, the lowest number of new cases this month.

The new infections were overwhelmingly in Hubei.

Outside the epicentre, there were only 56 new cases reported, falling for the 15th day in a row.

Two people in Iran tested positive for the coronavirus, the health ministry said, in the Islamic republic’s first cases of the disease.

Kianoush Jahanpour, a ministry spokesman, said the cases were detected in the holy city of Qom, south of the Iranian capital.

‘In the past two days, some suspect cases of the new coronavirus were observed in Qom city,’ he said, quoted by state news agency IRNA.

Meanwhile, hundreds of relieved passengers finally disembarked a coronavirus-stricken cruise ship in Japan Wednesday after testing negative for the disease.

With 542 positive cases, the Diamond Princess is easily the biggest cluster outside China, and Japan has faced mounting criticism for its quarantine arrangements as the passengers disperse into the wider world.

‘I’m relieved... I want to take a good rest,’ said a 77-year-old Japanese passenger, who declined to give his name. He said he would be boarding Japan’s famously crowded railway system home.

A fleet of yellow-dotted city buses, plus a dozen or so taxis, whisked away the passengers, many of whom dragged their luggage behind them and waved to former ship-mates on balconies as they disembarked.

Hundreds more cases have been reported in two dozen countries, including 20 in South Korea — a 50-per cent rise — with a cluster of at least 11 around the southern city of Daegu.

The Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said in a statement that 20 new coronavirus cases had been confirmed, raising its total from 31 to 51.

Hong Kong also reported its second death from the virus, which has proved extremely infectious.

For the 500 passengers disembarking the Diamond Princess after testing negative, a difficult 14-day quarantine period has come to an end after their dream cruise turned into a nightmare of fear and boredom confined in many cases to small windowless cabins.

Many were left on-board with an anxious wait for test results that would allow them to disembark.

Asked how he felt seeing others disembark while remaining on the ship, American lawyer Matt Smith said: ‘I need an emoji for envy.’

Michael Ryan, head of WHO’s health emergencies programme, said the outbreak was ‘very serious’ and could grow, but stressed that outside China’s Hubei, it was ‘affecting a very, very tiny, tiny proportion of people.’

But in Japan, some have raised concerns about allowing people from the cruise ship to board flights home or spread out into the notoriously busy Japanese capital.

Kentaro Iwata, a professor at the infectious diseases division of Kobe University, blasted the on-ship quarantine as a ‘major failure, a mistake’.

Hundreds were departing after receiving a clean bill of health, as prime minister Hun Sen greeted the first passengers with hugs and flowers.

American Christina Kirby, fretted about the stigma some Westerdam passengers could face once they return home. ‘I want people to remember that... there’s a human behind each of these stories and those who are ill deserve compassion,’ she said.

Several countries appear to have lost patience with the quarantine on board the Diamond Princess and chartered planes to repatriate citizens.

In the first such evacuation Monday, more than 300 Americans flew home even though 14 had tested positive.

Britain, Hong Kong and Australia are among other countries that have vowed to repatriate people from the ship but will insist on a further 14-day quarantine on home soil.

Nathalie MacDermott, a medical expert at King’s College London, recommended a further 14-day self-quarantine for those leaving.

‘Given the circumstances on board the Diamond Princess, those passengers leaving the boat should be managed in a similar manner to those individuals departing a highly affected city or region,’ said MacDermott.

South Korea vowed to block foreigners who have been on board the Diamond Princess from entering the country.

Disembarkation is expected to take around three days as more test results become available. The crew will begin a new quarantine when the last passenger has left.

People in Yokohama appeared supportive of the decision to allow the passengers out despite the virus fears.

‘I am sure those people on board must be really worried. I hope they can go back to their normal life soon,’ said 51-year-old Isamu Habiro.

‘As a Yokohama resident, I don’t want them to be treated unfairly. I want to cheer for them,’ Habiro said.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

images