Convicted Jamaat ex-MP Hamidur surrenders before ICT, sent to jail

Staff Correspondent | Published at 02:36am on July 26, 2018

International Crimes Tribunal-1 on Wednesday sent Jamaat-e-Islami former lawmaker Hamidur Rahman Azad, who was sentenced to three months’ imprisonment for contempt of court in June 2013, to the central jail rejecting his bail prayer after his surrender before the tribunal.
Hamidur, also a central executive committee member of Jamaat, surrendered before ICT-1 in the morning and his lawyer Abdus Sobhan Tarafdar sought his client’s bail saying that his client wanted to file a petition challenging the court verdict.
Prosecutor Zead Al Malum opposed the petition and argued that the convict remained in the country for the past five years without showing respect to the tribunal’s order.
He submitted that the accused could appeal against the verdict while in jail.
On June 9, 2013, International Crimes Tribunal-2 sentenced absconding Hamiudur, then a lawmaker, and the then Jamaat acting secretary general Rafiqul Islam Khan to simple imprisonment for three months and fine of Tk 3,000 each, in default to suffer two more weeks in jail, on charge of contempt of court.
The tribunal sentenced Dhaka city Jamaat assistant secretary general Selim Uddin to simple imprisonment ‘till rising of the court’ on the day and fined Tk 1,000 on the same charge.
The tribunal ordered that the sentence against Hamidur and Rafiqul would come into effect from the date of their arrest or surrender.
On February 7, 2013, the tribunal summoned the three Jamaat leaders for making ‘abhorrently outrageous remarks’ about the tribunal at a party rally in Shapla square at Motijheel in the city on February 4, 2013 just a day before the tribunal delivered its verdict against Jamaat assistant secretary general Abdul Quader Molla on February 5.
As none of them appeared before the tribunal after deferring dates of their appearance for the fourth time, the tribunal on March 6 issued warrants of their arrests for showing deliberate disobedience to the tribunal.
The Rapid Action Battalion arrested Selim on March 8 and he was produced before the tribunal on March 10. The tribunal granted him bail but ordered him to submit his reply by March 21.
Selim submitted his reply on March 21.
The tribunal considered Selim’s reply not satisfactory and initiated contempt proceedings against the three Jamaat leaders on April 21.
On June 2, Selim apologised unconditionally for his comments.