Plastic Factory Fire

Owner Nazrul, 12 others sued

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:42, Dec 14,2019


A case has been filed against the owner of Prime Pet and Plastic Industries Limited, Md Nazrul Islam, and 12 others pertaining to a fire at the factory that killed at least 13 people.

Dakkhin Keraniganj police station officer-in-charge Shah Jamal said Md Jahangir, brother of dead victim Alam, filed the case against Nazrul and 12 other unnamed people with the police station on Thursday night.

‘None was arrested but police continue drives to arrest the accused,’ he said.

On Wednesday, a blaze razed the Prime Pet and Plastic Industries Limited operating illegally at Chunkutia Bazar of Keraniganj on the outskirts of the capital, leaving 31 critically injured and one dead on the spot, according to officials.

Meanwhile, Dhaka Medical College Hospital burn unit physician AFM Ariful Islam Nobin said that death toll in the incident did not cross 13 on Friday while the critically injured eight workers were undergoing treatment in the hospital and 10 at Sheikh Hasina Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute.

DMCH authorities had already handed over 12 bodies to their relatives and one would be handed over after crossmatching DNA as two families had claimed the body.

The origin of the fire and damagers could not be traced yet; however, investigators said that the factory was running illegally without ensuring minimum safety measures.

Fire service and the ministry of labour formed separate committees to investigate the causes and damages of the incident.

Fire service deputy director and also member secretary of a five-member investigation committee Abul Hossain on Thursday said that the primary investigation suggested that gas cylinders exploded when the workers were trying to stop a gas leakage.

The plastic factory was illegal, measurably lacked safety measures and notorious for unlawful activities, including employing child workers, said locals and workers.

Fire officials said that management of the factory did not even comply with the fire service directives issued two months back over its serious lapses in safety measures.

They continued operation in a rundown tin-shed house in a residential area by ‘managing’ the government agencies despite repeated fire incidents in last four years with minor casualties and loses.

Department of Inspection for Factories and Establishment’s deputy inspector general Ahmed Belal said that the factory management could not show any approval or valid document when inspectors visited the factory two months ago.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email