High Court expresses doubts about probe by RAB

Staff Correspondent | Published: 23:57, Nov 11,2019


Sagar Sarowar, Meherun Runi

The High Court Division on Monday expressed scepticism about the investigations in the sensational double murder case of journalist couple Sagar Sarowar and Meherun Runi as there had been no progress in eight years.

A bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice  Md Mostafizur Rahman said since RAB failed to make any headway in the investigations it should take help from the other agencies.

As the government prayed a month’s time to report progress in the investigations, the bench  said that how it would be possible to solve the mystery in one month after failing to make any headway in last eight years.

The bench set Thursday for passing order on the matter.

The mystery of the double murder remained unsolved since February 11, 2012, when Sagar then news editor of Maasranga TV and his wife Runi, senior reporter of ATN Bangla were murdered in cold blood at their rented flat at Paschim  Razabazar  in the capital in front of their minor son Megh.

The RAB failed to make any heady in the investigations since April 18, 2012.

At the hearing, RAB’s investigator an additional police superintendent  Khandaker Shafiqul Alam submitted that there had been  no progress in the investigations.

He also submitted that he was the seventh investigator in the case since July 4.

“No’ was his reply when the court asked him to explain whether Sagar’s missing laptop had been found.

He submitted that RAB sent four samples to the USA for DNA tests.

He also submitted that two samples were identified as the victims.’

The investigator submitted that the American company informed the RAB that they would give ‘imaginary pictures’ of the two other samples, the unidentified suspects.        

‘We are waiting for the imaginary pictures of the two unidentified suspects for making headway in the investigations,’ he submitted.

The bench pointed out that ‘the imaginary pictures’ of  two unidentified suspects might add further confusion and give birth to new questions.

Replying to queries, the investigator submitted that the Tanvir Rahman’s DNA sample was not sent to the US for tests.

The court pointed out that Tanvir was unable to  get married or a job as a suspect. 

A family friend of the couple, Tanvir is free on bail.

While hearing Tanvir’s petition to quash the proceedings against him, the bench summoned the investigator to explain the status of the investigations.

The bench also issued a rule asking the government to explain in two weeks why the proceedings against Tanvir would not be quashed.

Appearing for the petitioner, Fawzia Karim Firoze submitted that Tanvir, had lost his job as accounts officer of Scholastica.

She also informed the bench that despite his innocence Tanvir was not getting a new job or get married.

On March 8, 2015, Tanvir was freed on bail by the High Court Division while seven other accused are in jail custody.

Initially, Sher-e-Bangla Nagar police station started the investigations and later, the case was transferred to the Detective Branch of Dhaka Metropolitan Police for investigations.

On April 18, 2012, the High Court Division in an order transferred the case to RAB for expeditious investigations.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email