ACC prosecutes GK Shamim, mother, Khaled

Staff Correspondent | Published: 19:18, Oct 21,2019 | Updated: 23:46, Oct 21,2019


GK Shamim

The Anti-Corruption Commission on Monday filed two cases against controversial contactor SM Golam Kibria Shamim, his mother and suspended Juba League leader Khaled Mahmud Bhuiyan for their alleged involvement in accumulation of illegal wealth.

The commission assistant director Salahuddin filed the cases separately, Anti-Corruption Commission secretary Mohammad Delwar Bakht told reporters at his office.

He said that GK Shamim and his mother Ayesha Akter were prosecuted for accumulating illegal wealth worth of Tk 297 crore while suspended Juba League Dhaka south city unit organising secretary Khaled was prosecuted for amassing illegal wealth worth of Tk 5.58 crore.

According to the complaint, GK Shamim showed his accumulated immoveable property at Tk 40.21 crore in his income tax documents of 2018-19 tax year, though actually it was Tk 50 crore. He also failed to show the legal source of his income.

In the same tax year, he showed his moveable property at Tk 38.69 crore. Of the amount, he failed to show the legal source of Tk 36.35 crore, the complaint said.

The commission found that Shamim’s business firm GKB Company and Private Limited was worth around Tk 43.57crore. Shamim is owner of 80 per cent shares of the company while and his mother Ayesha owns the rest 20 per cent.

The commission did not find any legal source of income of Shamim’s mother, the complaint said.

The complaint against Khalid said that the Juba League leader amassed wealth worth of Tk 5.58 crore through illegal business, including casino operation.

The commission found some business entities including a real estate company under Khalid’s name.

On September 20, Rapid Action Battalion detained Juba League leader GK Shamim along with a huge amount of cash and fixed deposit receipts and seven bodyguards at his office in Niketan of Dhaka.

Rapid Action Battalion seized Tk 165 crore fixed deposit receipts and Tk 1.8 crore in cash and foreign currencies during the drive.

On September 18, members of the battalion arrested Khalid, also president of Fakirerpool Youngmen’s Club, at Gulshan for running an illegal casino in the club.

On September 30 the Anti-Corruption Commission launched an inquiry to detect the illegal wealth of the people involved in the unauthorised casino operations and other illegal businesses.

The commission in an emergency meeting on the day assigned its director Sayed Iqbal Hossain as the inquiry officer and its director general Sayeed Mahbub Khan as the inquiry supervisor.

During the ongoing crackdown against corruption and illegal money-makers since September 18, some 273 people, mostly leaders and activists of the Awami League and its associate and front bodies, were arrested from different parts of the country.

Of them, 220 were arrested from Dhaka and 53 from outside of Dhaka.

During the time, law enforcers conducted 46 drives at 22 sporting and recreation clubs, 5 bars, 3 spas and other places, including residences and offices of AL and pro-AL organisation leaders.

The battalion conducted 29 drives while the police carried out 17.

Besides, the Anti-Corruption Commission served notices on former PWD chief engineer Rafiqul Islam and current additional chief engineer Abdul Hai asking them to submit their wealth statements within 21 days.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email