BUET VC faces people’s wrath in Kushtia

IU Correspondent . Kushtia | Published: 20:27, Oct 09,2019 | Updated: 23:45, Oct 09,2019


Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology vice-chancellor professor Saiful Islam. -- New Age file photo

Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology vice-chancellor Saiful Islam faced the wrath of villagers in Kushtia as he went to visit the home of his slain student Abrar Fahad three days after his murder on Wednesday.

The villagers went out on demonstration near Abrar’s home village Raidanga knowing the presence of the vice-chancellor. They also booed him for his negligence before and after Abrar’s murder.

The villagers also clashed with police when the vice-chancellor tried to enter Abrar’s house. The angry people chanted slogans demanding resignation of the vice-chancellor and execution of Abrar’s killers.

Abrar’s younger brother Fayaz and his cousin’s wife also sustained injuries during the clash.

‘Police started to assault us when I asked the vice-chancellor where he had been in the past three days,’ Fayaz said.

At one stage, the vice-chancellor was compelled to leave Abrar’s house amid police protection.

Amidst protests, the vice-chancellor along with Abrar’s grandfather Abdul Gafur, and father Barkat Ullah went to Abrar’s grave and said prayers at the graveside.

Vice-chancellor Saiful assured Abrar’s family of ensuring punishment for the killers.

Abrar’s father Barkat Ullah said they wanted the capital punishment for the killers.

‘Many of those who were seen in the closed-circuit-camera footage were excluded from the first information report.  The one who led the torture was not even the accused in the case,’ he said. 

Barkat Ullah expressed his satisfaction over the government’s move so far, saying that the prime minister knows the pain of losing her family. 

‘If she watched the footage, I believe those involved with the murder of Abar will be arrested and punished,’ he said.

Kushtia additional superintendent of police Mustafizur Rahman said extra police personnel were deployed in the area to avert any unwanted situation.

Abrar Fahad, 21, a second-year student of electrical and electronic engineering at BUET, was tortured to death early Monday at Sher-e-Bangla Hall by Chhatra League leaders reportedly over his critical view of the just-signed agreements between Bangladesh and India. He was buried at Ridanga on Tuesday.

Several hundred students of Islamic University continued their demonstration on the campus for the third consecutive day demanding execution of Abrar’s killers.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email