Baby dies of dengue, 653 hospitalised

653 new patients hospitalised in 24 hrs

Staff Correspondent | Published: 16:31, Sep 16,2019 | Updated: 00:19, Sep 17,2019


An eight-month-old baby died of dengue at the Khulna Medical College Hospital while 653 new dengue patients were hospitalised across the country in the 24 hours till Monday morning.

The deceased was identified as Rafit, son of Kamruzzaman from Monirampu upazila in Jashore.

KMCH doctor Partha Pratim Debnath said that the minor boy was admitted to the hospital on Sunday afternoon with dengue shock syndrome and he was later shifted to the intensive care unit as his condition deteriorated.

He died in the early morning of Monday, he said, reports UNB.

Meanwhile, though the dengue hospitalisation rate has been declining for the last couple of weeks experts have cautioned that there is no reason for being optimistic yet.

The possibility of dengue infection rising again by October, when the post-monsoon period ends, cannot be ruled out, they said.

Dengue infection occurs with the advent of the monsoon, characterised by humid weather, which favours breeding of aedes mosquitoes, the vector of the deadly dengue virus.

In Bangladesh, the monsoon spans from June to September.

The Directorate General of Health Services on Monday said that at least 653 new dengue patients were hospitalised around the country in the 24 hours ending at 8:00am on Monday.

Among the new patients, 193 were hospitalised in Dhaka and 460 in other parts of the country.

Besides, at least 2,507 patients were still in hospitals across the country, including 983 in the capital and 1,524 in districts.

From the beginning of this year, 81,839 people were hospitalised with dengue, most of them in Dhaka, till Monday morning. Of them, 79,129 made full recovery, according to the government statistics.

Since January, the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research has received reports of 203 suspected dengue deaths.

Bangladesh has been struggling to deal with the unprecedented dengue occurrence this year. Dhaka, its densely-populated capital city, is at the centre of the disease’s outbreak.

While initially dengue remained limited to the capital, as had been the case since its first reported outbreak in 2000, the infection began to spread outside the capital in the fourth week of July.

The aedes mosquito-borne fever spread throughout the country in the first week of August and it became more severe in the districts than in the capital after August 7.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email