Two Rohingya crime suspects killed in ‘gunfight’

Our Correspondent . Cox’s Bazar | Published: 12:42, Aug 24,2019 | Updated: 00:58, Aug 25,2019


Two Rohingya refugees, who were also suspected killers of the local Juba League leader Omar Farook, were killed in a reported gunfight with Teknaf police of the district on Saturday around 1:30am.

The deceased were identified as Md Shah, 37, and Abdur Shukkur, 40, of Jadimura Rohingya camp under Hinla union of in Teknaf police station.

The local police confirmed that the deceased were suspected killers of league leader Omar Farook of Jadimora under Teknaf police station of Cox’s Bazar.

Three police including one sub-inspector was injured during the gunfight, the police said, adding that they seized two illegal guns and nine rounds of bullets from their possession.

Teknaf police station officer-in-charge Pradip Kumar Das said that acting on a tip-off that Rohingya armed miscreants were gathering beside Jadimura hill, the police conducted a drive there at 1:30am.

Sensing the presence of the police, the miscreants opened fire on them forcing them to fire back in self-defence which triggered the gunfight.

Afterwards, police rescued the two bullet-injured persons from the spot and admitted them to Teknaf Upazila Health Complex from where they were shifted to Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital in critical conditions. Later duty doctor declared that they had died earlier.

Local people said that Rohingya crime suspect Md Salim along with his fellows were involved in the killing of League leader Omar Farook.

Locals alleged that Salim and his gang were on their way to Rohingya refugee Noor Mohammad’s house at his invitation for dinner on Thursday night. Salim allegedly shot Omar on the way to Noor Mohammad’s house near Abdul Monaff Sawdagar’s market at Jadimora of Teknaf over an altercation for holding torch light on his face.

Since Juba League leader Omar was injured, they first took him to the hill area and later killed him, according to local people.

Following the alleged gunfight, Teknaf police sent the bodies of the two Rohingays to Cox’s Bazar sadar hospital morgue for autopsy.

A case has been filed with Teknaf police station in this connection.

Earlier, Jubo league ward leader Omar Farook’s killing on Thursday, August 22, around 10:30pm, had sparked street protests on Friday and protesters also attacked Rohingya camps on that day.

Additional security forces including Army, Border Guard Bangladesh, Rapid Action Battalion-RAB, Police, Armed Police were patrolling the area as a tense situation was prevailing there.  

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email