Affected family members of the grenade attack on a rally of former finance minister, Shah AMS Kibria, were turning frustrated because of delay in the trials over the murders though 12 years have been elapsed.
Kibria, also an Awami League leader, his nephew Shah Manzurul Huda and three local AL leaders– Abdur Rahim, Abul Hossain and Siddeq Ali– were killed and more than 50 were injured in the blast at Baidyer Bazar under sadar upazila in Habiganj on January 27 in 2005.
Habiganj AL general secretary Abdul Mazid Khan, who also sustained severe wounds because of splinters, had filed two cases with the Kotwali police, the next day.
After placing a floral wreath on the tomb of Kibria at Banani graveyard in the capital and offering fateha on Friday morning, his daughter Najli Kibria expressed her frustration for not completing the trial. She also urged the authorities to speed up the trial.
‘We are demanding exemplary punishment of the attackers and their masterminds,’ Najli, also a professor of Boston University in the USA, said.
Several investigations and supplementary investigations were launched to begin the trial in the two cases.
The Criminal Investigation Department regional senior assistant superintendent, Meherunnessa Parul, on November 13 in 2014, had submitted supplementary charge sheets against 32 people to the Habiganj district judicial magistrate court for the third time in the deadly attack cases.
Names of 11 more accused, including the BNP chairperson’s political adviser, Haris Chowdhury, Sylhet City Corporation’s suspended mayor, Ariful Haque Chowdhury and Habiganj municipal mayor GK Gaus, were incorporated in the supplementary charge sheet.
On June 11, 2015, the murder case was transferred to the Sylhet Divisional Speedy Trial Tribunal for the second time, for quick delivery of judgment.
The SDSTT framed charges against the 32 charge-sheeted accused on September 13, 2015 in the case, the tribunal sources said.
The tribunal public prosecutor, Kishor Kumar Kar, told New Age on Thursday that the tribunal so far recorded testimonies of 43 out of 171 prosecution witnesses, beginning from September 30, last year.
Talking to New Age, the plaintiff, Abdul Mazid said testimonies of many important witnesses are yet to be recorded.
Although the victims’ families are suspicious over getting justice, Mazid said, the tribunal is conducting its trial in accordance with law.
AL Habiganj district president, Abu Zahir, said the tribunal had to defer the trial frequently as the accused or the summoned witnesses could not shoe up before the tribunal.
‘That was the main reason for running late,’ he said.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country