Police name suspect in Japan studio fire

Reuters . Kyoto | Published: 00:00, Jul 20,2019

 
 

A man suspected of torching an animation studio and killing 33 people in Japan’s worst mass killing in two decades had been convicted of robbery and carried out the attack because he believed his novel had been plagiarized, media said on Friday.

Public broadcaster NHK, which identified the 41-year-old man as Shinji Aoba, citing police, said he served time in prison for robbing a convenience store east of Tokyo in 2012 and, after his release, lived in facilities for former convicts. He had also received care for mental illness, NHK said.

The attack on Thursday in the ancient capital of Kyoto, targeting the well known animation studio, Kyoto Animation, killed 33 people and 10 were in critical condition, authorities said.

It was the worst mass killing in a country with one of the world’s lowest crime rates since a suspected arson attack in Tokyo killed 44 people in 2001.

Aoba wheeled a trolley carrying at least one bucket of petrol to the entrance of the building before dousing the area, shouting ‘die’ and setting it ablaze on Thursday, broadcaster Nippon TV said, citing police.

‘I did it,’ Aoba told police when he was detained, Kyodo news said, adding that he had started the fire because he believed the studio had stolen his novel.

Police declined to comment. Broadcaster Nippon TV said the suspect was under anaesthesia because of burns he suffered and police were unable to question him.

He ‘seemed to be discontented, he seemed to get angry, shouting something about how he had been plagiarized’, a woman who saw him being detained told reporters.

‘I imagine many of the people who died were in their twenties,’ said 71-year-old Kozo Tsujii, fighting back tears after laying flowers near the studio in the rain. He said he drives by the studio on his daily commute.

‘I’m just very, very sad that these people who are so much younger than me passed away so prematurely,’ he said.

Tributes to the victims lit up social media, with world leaders and Apple Inc’s chief executive offering condolences.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images