Ex-OC Mouazzem indicted for spreading video

Court Correspondent  | Published: 19:09, Jul 17,2019 | Updated: 00:28, Jul 18,2019


Moazzem Hossain. -- New Age file photo

A Dhaka tribunal on Tuesday indicted suspended Sonagazi police station officer-in-charge Mouazzem Hossain in a case under the Digital Security Act for recording and spreading a video of the statement madrassah student Nusrat Jahan Rafi made before him.

Nusrat was reportedly sexually harassed by her madrassah principal in late March and was burnt to death by the principal’s cohorts in early April.

Bangladesh Cyber Tribunal judge Ash-Shams Jaglul Hussein passed the order in presence of the accused after hearing Mouazzem’s a bail petition and set July 31 for commencement of the trial through recording testimony of prosecution witnesses.

Asked whether he was guilty or not, Mouazzem pleaded ‘not guilty’.

The court also rejected Mouazzem’s another petition seeking his discharge, said public prosecutor Mohammad Shamim.

On June 16, Mouazzem was arrested at Shahbagh in Dhaka, 20 days after Dhaka Cyber Tribunal issued an arrest warrant against him.

On May 10, Mouazzem was suspended on charge of negligence of duty in connection with the death of Nusrat after an arson attack.

On April 10, he was withdrawn and attached to the Armed Police Battalion.

On April 15, Supreme Court lawyer Sayedul Haque Sumon filed the case under the Digital Security Act against him under sections 26, 29 and 31 of the act for spreading a video on social media on Nusrat’s statement at the police station.

According to the case statement, Mouazzem called Nusrat to the police station on March 27 after her mother filed a case against Siraj-ud-Doula, principal of Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrassah, for sexually harassing her.

During interrogation at the police station, Mouazzem asked Nusrat offensive and unpleasant questions over the incident. Later, he allegedly spread the video on social media.

On April 6, Nusrat was set a fire at an examination centre allegedly by people loyal to the principal of her madrasa after he was arrested and subsequently suspended as she had accused him of sexually harassing her.

She lost her battle for life on April 10 at Dhaka Medical College Hospital in the capital.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email