World

Advertisement

 

Fighting kills 50 in eastern DR Congo

Agence France-Presse . Kinshasa | Published: 01:14, Jun 14,2019

 
 

At least 50 people have been killed in violence in Ituri, a volatile province of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, governor Jean Bamanisa Saidi said Thursday.

‘As of the day before yesterday, we had a figure of some 50 (dead), but it’s true, we are aware that there are other cases,’ he said.

Other sources said the toll could be 60 or more than 70.

The fighting began last Friday and escalated on Monday, affecting the territory of Djugu north of the provincial capital of Bunia, and causing many people to flee their homes, the sources said.

The cause of the flare-up was not immediately clear, but it occurred in a region where tens of thousands died in clashes between the Hema and Lendu ethnic groups between 1999 and 2003.

The deputy head of the UN peacekeeping force in the DRC, general Bernard Commins, told a press conference on Wednesday that the two communities had suffered fresh violence.

A Hema leader, Pilo Molondro, said that 49 deaths had been recorded since the start of the week, and ‘all communities are in mourning.’

A head of the Lendu community, Joel Mande, said: ‘We have recorded 40 deaths since Monday, after a trader and his colleagues were killed. The toll could reach 60.’

But an NGO source said that from Saturday to Tuesday alone, ‘more than 72 people were killed in around 10 localities in Djugu and Irumu.’

Okapi, the radio station run by the UN’s MONUSCO, said 38 people had been stabbed to death just in the village of Tche.

Ituri and the neighbouring province of North Kivu on the DRC’s eastern border are struggling to roll back an epidemic of Ebola that has claimed more than 1,400 lives since August 1.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images