The government has set the size of the annual development programme at Tk 2,02,721 crore for the new fiscal year with transport sector once again getting the highest allocation.
The National Economic Council at a meeting on Tuesday approved the ADP for the 2019-20 fiscal year after it was placed by the planning commission.
Prime minister Sheikh Hasina presided over the meeting at the planning commission in the morning.
At a briefing, planning minister MA Mannan said the size of the new ADP exceeded two lakh crore taka for the first time in the country’s history.
The new ADP is 24.37 per cent higher than the revised outlay of Tk 1.63 lakh crore and 17.18 per cent higher than the original allocation of Tk 1.73 lakh crore for the outgoing fiscal year.
Of the new ADP, Tk 1,30,921 crore or 64.58 per cent will be generated from the local sources while the remaining Tk 71,800 crore or 35.42 per cent would come from foreign sources as project assistance.
The size of the new ADP would go higher if the development expenditure of Tk 12,393 by autonomous bodies and corporations from their own fund was considered.
Mannan said transport sector received highest allocation of Tk 52,805.69 crore or 26.5 per cent of the total allocation.
He noted that Padma Multipurpose Bridge, Padma Bridge rail link and metro rail projects were included the transport sector.
In the outgoing fiscal, transport sector also received highest allocation of Tk 45,450 crore.
The power sector will get the second highest allocation of Tk 26,017.13 crore or 12.83 per cent of the total allocation in the ADP while physical planning, water supply and housing sector will receive Tk 24,324 crore or 12 per cent.
The NEC approved Tk 21,379.12 crore for education and religious affairs sector, Tk 17,541.26 crore for science and ICT sector, Tk 15,157.40 crore for rural development and rural institution sector, Tk 13,055.47 crore for health, nutrition, population and family welfare sector, Tk 7,615.93 crore for agriculture sector, Tk 5,652.90 crore for water resources and Tk 5,023.88 crore for public administration sector in the new ADP.
Responding to a question, MA Mannan said they fulfilled 90 per cent demand for fund by the ministries and divisions.
He said that there was extra allocation in the ADP to meet the need of the highly important projects.
Local Government Division received the highest allocation with Tk 29,776 crore as a single agency, followed by power and energy which got Tk 26,014 crore, and road transport and highway division which received Tk 25, 163 crore.
There were 1,475 projects in the new ADP. They include 1,358 investment projects, 116 technical projects, one Japan Debt Cancellation Fund project and 89 projects of autonomous bodies and corporations.
In the first 10 months,July-April, of the current fiscal, the government agencies managed to spend Tk 96,493 crore or 54.63 per cent of the ADP allocation, said the minister.
Mannan said Implementation Monitoring and Evaluation Division would examine the alleged purchase of household materials including pillows at abnormal higher price.
The news that went viral on social media also came to his notice, he said.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country