NEC to consider Tk 2,02,721cr ADP today

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:00, May 21,2019

 
 

The National Economic Council at a meeting today will set the new annual development programme, size of which is likely to be Tk 2,02,721 crore.
Prime minister Sheikh Hasina is scheduled to preside over the meeting at the Planning Commission in the morning.
The Planning Commission has already approved the draft ADP for the financial year 2019-20 at Tk 2,02,721 crore, which will be placed before the NEC, said officials.
They said that although NEC would take a decision on the size of the ADP, typically the highest economic decision making body brought little change in the draft ADP.
Of the total outlay, Tk 1,30,921 crore or 64.58 per cent will be generated from the local sources while the remaining Tk 71,800 crore or 35.42 per cent would come from foreign sources as project assistance.
On May 8, an extended meeting of the Planning Commission with planning minister MA Mannan in the chair approved the provisional size of the ADP.
The proposed ADP is 24.37 per cent higher than the revised ADP of Tk 1.63 lakh crore and 17.18 per cent higher than the original ADP of Tk 1.73 lakh crore for the outgoing fiscal year.
Like the outgoing fiscal, transport sector is expected to receive highest allocation of Tk 52,805.69 crore or 26.5 per cent of the total allocation.
As the biggest infrastructure project, Padma Bridge will get the highest allocation which is included in the transport sector.
The mega project involving substantial outlay includes another mega project — Padma Bridge rail link and metro rail project.
Special focus has been given to the implementation of both the projects because of their national importance and politically sensitivity.
In the outgoing fiscal, transport sector received Tk 45,450 crore in allocation.
According to the Planning Commission, the power sector will get the second highest allocation of Tk 26,017.13 crore or 12.83 per cent of the total allocation in the ADP while physical planning, water supply and housing sector will receive Tk 24,324 crore or 12 per cent.
The commission approved Tk 21,379.12 crore for education and religious sector, Tk 17,541.26 crore for science and ICT sector, Tk 15,157.40 crore for rural development and rural institution sector, Tk 13,055.47 crore for health, nutrition, population and family welfare sector, Tk 7,615.93 crore for agriculture sector, Tk 5,652.90 crore for water resources and Tk 5,023.88 crore for public administration sector in the new ADP. 
Local Government Division received the highest allocation with Tk 29,776 crore as a single agency, followed by power and energy (Tk 26,014 crore) and road transport and highway division (Tk 25, 163 crore).
In the first 10 months (July-April) of the current fiscal, the government agencies managed to spend Tk 96,493 crore or 54.63 per cent of the ADP allocation.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images