Hepatology Society, Dhaka, has alerted city dwellers about spread of jaundice this summer.
At a scientific seminar in the capital’s Banglamotor, they said their studies found increased incidences of jaundice caused by hepatitis E virus from May to September.
The hepatologists advised to be aware about the safety of drinking water, particularly for the urban people.
They said it is feared that the viral hepatitis could increase during the coming Ramadan.
Unsafe drinking of water, juice or other road-side indigenous drinks increases risk of hepatitis virus due to hot humid climate.
The experts said those who will fast in Ramadan need to drink plenty of water and sherbet but the hepatologists advised not to consume street food for iftar and take only safe water and sherbet.
They said that during last summer there was an epidemic outbreak of Hepatitis E virus related jaundice in Chittagong and hundreds of people were infected and few died as well.
According to the society, in Bangladesh, 50-70 per cent cases of acute viral jaundice are caused by Hepatitis E virus. Three-fourth of the patients are working class and of 22-55 years age-group.
The rate of mortality is less than 1 per cent, but in case of pregnant women it is 80 per cent.
Hepatotogy Society advised to use of safe drinking water, boil water for 30 minutes before drinking, discard stale cooked food in restaurant or home, avoid all drinks or street foods if absolute hygienic environment is not maintained, wash hands thoroughly with soap after toilet use and before eating, clean residential water reservoirs with bleaching powder every four months and consult physician if noticed yellow colouration of eye.
The seminar was presided over by noted hepatologist Mobin Khan.
Scientific findings were presented by Golam Azom, associate professor of BIRDEM and secretary of scientific affairs of the society. Saiful Islam Alin and Md Shahinul Alam from Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University also spoke.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Adults’ health