Burnt Feni girl undergoes surgery on life support

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:10, Apr 10,2019 | Updated: 00:11, Apr 10,2019


The condition of the burnt madrassah girl from Feni, who was put on life support on Monday, remained unchanged on Tuesday, physicians at Dhaka Medical College Hospital said.
The doctors conducted surgery on the girl on the day keeping her on life support, they said, adding that her condition was too critical to be shifted abroad.
The Sonagazi police meanwhile arrested Poly, an Alim examinee and a classmate of the victim, on Tuesday for her suspected involvement in the fire attack, said Sonagazi police station officer-in-charge Muazzem Hossain.
He said that they were interrogating Poly, daughter of a relative of the accused madrassah principal.
‘Her [victim’s] condition is critical and still remains unchanged. We conducted a two-hour surgery that started at around 10:00am to ease her breathing problem, keeping her on life support,’ DMCH burn and plastic surgery unit resident medical officer told New Age Tuesday evening.
In the morning, after a video conference between the DMCH medical board and the specialist physicians at Singapore General Hospital on her latest condition, the burn unit honorary coordinator Samanta Lal Sen told reporters that the doctors there told them not to take her to Singapore as her condition was very critical.
He added that they would, however, remain in touch with the Singapore doctors about her condition.
The government high-ups had earlier asked that the girl be flown to Singapore for better treatment at the cost of the government.
After conducting the surgery, the medical board chief Professor Md Abul Kalam told reporters that they, in conjunction with the Singapore doctors through video conferencing, conducted the surgery to activate her lungs.
Professor Kalam, also the project director of Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute, said that they were scheduled to conduct the surgery on Monday but delayed it as the patient’s condition turned worse.
‘A team of physicians from Singapore is pre-scheduled to come to Dhaka on April 14 on another task, who would visit the patient,’ he informed.
The 18-year-old victim, an Alim examinee from Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrassah, was set ablaze after being doused with kerosene by four people wearing burqa, veil and gloves on Saturday when she went to the madrassah examination centre to sit for her Arabic first part exam.
The girl met with the tragic incident nine days after her mother on March 28 lodged a case accusing the madrassah principal SM Siraj-ud-Doula of harassing the girl sexually on March 27.
The New Age correspondent in Feni, quoting local police officials, reported that the brother of the victim, Mahmudul Hasan Noman, in his case lodged with Sonagazi police station, named eight people and unnamed others as accused, including four donning burka, veil and gloves.
Those named were the madrassah principal SM Siraj-ud-Doula, lecturer Absar Uddin, former students Shahadot Hossain Shamim, Nur Uddin, Jabed Hossain, Jobayer Ahammad and Hafez Abdul Kader and Sonagazi municipal councillor Maksul Alam.
Of them, Siraj and Absar have been arrested, said Md Kamal Hossain, investigation officer of the case and the inspector (investigation) of Sonagazi police station.
Besides, the Sonagazi police produced four other suspects in the case, Alauddin, Kefayet Ullah, Nur Hossain and Shahedul Islam, before the court of senior judicial magistrate Sharaf Uddin Ahmed seeking a seven-day remand for interrogating them in police custody, said Feni court inspector.
The court allowed five-day remand for each of them, he said.
In further protest against the gruesome act, the Feni district unit of Karmajibi Nari, a working women’s association, formed a human chain at the district town on Tuesday morning, demanding exemplary punishment to all the culprits.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email